Marmite and bananas

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
PeteB

Marmite and bananas

Post by PeteB »

The other night I had what I think is probably the most vicious attack of RLS (in my arms) ever. When I say vicious, I mean that the severity of each individual 'wave' was so strong. These waves of creepy crawlies was so bad it almost made me scream!!! I have my suspicions as to what made it so, but at the time I decided that I had to do something to try and combat it.

Bearing un mind the Vitamin B issue, I raked through my kitchen cupboards trying to find something suitable.

Then I thought about recent reports that the vitamin B was not getting 'through' to the right part of the brain, and therefore I thought of something to help transport the vit B.

In the end, my recipe was Marmite on toast followed by a banana.

Whether it did the trick or not is hard to say. But the RLS did get better an hour later.

Do you have marmite in the US?

In Australia, the nearest thing to marmite is vegimite. (So I've heard).

Pete

sardsy75

The "-mite" Factor

Post by sardsy75 »

Hi Pete

You have my sympathies on the arm RLS. Coping with a severe attack in your legs is one thing, but when your arms decide they want in on the action as well I can understand you wanting to scream! BTW, scream by all means, it will help relieve the stress and frustration that the attack is causing at the time.

Here in Oz we're lucky enough to have not only Marmite and Vegemite, but Promite as well, a vegetable extract also very rich in B vitamins.

I just luuurv my Promite, but can't stand Vegemite lol ... and for an Aussie, that's something other Aussies don't usually like to hear :roll: Hubby loves his Vegemite. But, whatever the flavour, they're all an acquired taste that's for sure!

Next time my legs are bugging me more than usual, I'll be putting the Promite to the test, along with the banana and see what happens. Anything's worth a try!

Take care of you!
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

PeteB

Marmite update

Post by PeteB »

As part of my on-going 'research' into marmite as a therapy, last night conditions were suitable for another 'scientific' test.

When I say that conditions were right, I mean that I do not allow myself to try the marmite test unless I can ensure that there are no other antagonistic factors, or, RLS reducing factors. Things which may upset the test are stress, excessive tiredness, coffee, alcohol, chocolate, time(!!!), appetite, other physical symptoms (eg. tremors, headache, tendonitis in the arms,) and weather extremes.

Last night I felt the RLS coming on throughout the evening. I was feeling it in the legs - and this time strangely - in my torso. I was getting more and more worried as the evening passed.

30 mins before going to bed I made two slices of toast with a heavy covering of marmite.

Result: Whilst the RLS was present at the time of going to sleep - it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be, and to a certain degree, I was able to control it with mind over matter and a few physical adjustments (ie. Lying on my arms).

I did not have any banana as I wanted to see if it made a difference.

My next test willl include banana.

The test after that will be for no marmite and no banana.

As I suggested at the beginning of this post - all conditions have to be the same and that includes severity.

Yours, signing of for now.

Clinical Trial Guinea Pig Pete

PeteB

Another test

Post by PeteB »

Well, last night, I didn't have bad sensations during the evening and I wasn't feeling at all tired. Which kind of upset my criteria.

I went to bed but half an hour later I was with RLS. Two hours later I'd had enough and went and made some Marmite on toast.

30 minutes after going to bed I was asleep. Whether that was because there had been some 'movement' or I was tired (now it was 1:30am) or whether it was somethnig else, I don't know.

Thinking about it, I very much doubt that Marmite would be effective with those suffering very severe RLS. Mild to medium RLS may be alleviated by Marmite.

Would anybody else like to trial it?

Here's a link to where it can be ordered from in the US.

http://www.britishdelights.com/marmite.htm

Be warned though - you'll either love it or hate it.

44% of Brits love it. The other 46% hate it with a vengance!!!

See www.ilovemarmite.com and www.ihatemarmite.com

Pete (who thinks it's devine)

sandi

RLS

Post by sandi »

Pete - I have tried bananas and for me they don't help. What exactly is Marmite? I have had RLS for years but in the last 6 months, it has gotten extremely bad. I am now taking Requip, a dopa drug, which I am not too happy about but I do need to sleep as well. The Requip helps somewhat, it has not been so severe lately but still wakes me up at night. I have also had the "creepies" throughout my entire body - what a feeling. I am at the point where I would try almost anything especially something over the counter. Thanks for any help :lol: :lol:

PeteB

What is Marmite?

Post by PeteB »

Sandi,

If you go to the posts above, you'll see what Marmite is.

In a nutshell, it's a savoury spread that you put on toast. You'll either love the taste or hate it.

It's made from brewers yeast, no meat products in it and not expensive really.

Hope this helps.

Pete :o)