Fibromyalgia and cold laser therapy

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Rachel

Fibromyalgia and cold laser therapy

Post by Rachel »

Hello,

Has anyone else had a "diagnosis" of fibromyalgia for the PAIN associated with RLS, even when you're not twitching? My doctor just started cold laser therapy which has been successful, but I'd be interested in others' experiences.

Thank God for Mirapex.

Everyone have restful sleep tonight!

Rachel

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Rachel, I haven't heard of that therapy before (but, I don't have fibro, though). I am glad to hear it is working for you.

Many people here do have a diagnosis of fibro and I am sure they will answer from there perspective. I am curious about how you feel about the diagnosis, though. Do you think it's accurate, or that the doctor is saying RLS can't have pain, therefore it must be fibro?

There are also a number of people here who have pain, but no diagnosis of fibro. It would be interesting to here what those diagnosed with it think - is the pain and symptoms consistent with fibro AND significantly different from those who have pain with RLS, but no diagnosis of fibro.

Glad you found us. Thanks for the interesting post.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ctravel12

fibromyalgia and cold laser therapy

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Rachael and welcome to the group.

Thank you for sharing this information with us and glad that you are doing good. I do not have fibromyalgia; however if other members do have it am sure they will post you.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing, and again welcome. You have found a wonderful and supportive group.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Hi Rachel, I had to Google cold laser therapy - seems it's like accupuncture without the needles?

I also have pain with my RLS - severe pain, that got much worse after taking Requip. I've actually had 2 doctors now tell me that the pain is part of the RLS.

But pain relief is good, however we can get it. Last week I was sitting in an icy cold river up to my waist, and I didn't have pain for the rest of the day. Now I just need to figure out how to set up a cold water bath that I can just go sit in when the pain gets bad. I'm definitely going to talk with the pain doctor about that.

Susan

Rachel

Fibromyalgia and cold laser therapy, part II

Post by Rachel »

Yes, I guess it is like accupuncture without the needles. However, there is really no feeling to it while they are "lasering" you. For me, the relief is almost immediate. Unfortunately, while it is approved by the FDA, it is not covered by my insurance. It's such a relief that I don't care how much money it is.

I've had RLS for about 30 years in my legs and arms, but I didn't know what it was until about 6 years ago when I happened to read a magazine article about it. I have always had horrible pain while twitching, but I have had this burning, constant pain for about 1-1/2 years. My RLS doctor told me that having pain just on my left side while not twitching was not associated with RLS and referred me to a neurologist. Of course all the tests came back normal. The strange thing though was that after they did the nerve conduction tests, I had no pain for three days! I still had the RLS but not the constant pain. However, because all the tests were normal, they referred me to a physical therapist. She didn't know what to do with me, so she referred me back to the neurologist. I came across this new chiropractic pain and wellness clinic by accident while reading the newspaper and didn't think I had anything to lose. (Thank God I love to read even though it makes my RLS nuts.)

My chiropractor has been wonderful. I told her about not having pain after the nerve conduction tests, and so she immediately gave me an electrical stim treatment. It helped, but not as much as I had hoped it would. After a few more treatments, she told me about the cold laser therapy. We've tried that now about 3 times, and each time I have felt an improvement in the constant pain (but not the RLS). Of course, like some other RLSers out there, my fear is that what if doesn't continue to work. What if one day the pain comes back full force and the laser therapy does nothing? It is too soon to put all of my hopes into this treatment.

She is hesitant about calling it fibromyalgia though because FM usually causes pain on 11 out of 18 trigger points all over your body, not just on one side. Everything else fits, however. I've read every book I can get my hands on about FM, and my gut is telling me that this is what is causing the pain and that somehow it is related to 30 years of almost daily involuntary snapping of my arms and legs.

What an awful disease this RLS is. The only other person I know who has it is my mother.

I live in Stark County, Ohio. Anyone who would like the name of my chiropractor can IM me.

Thanks for listening,

Rachel

becat

Post by becat »

Hi Rachel,
I can tell you for a fact this laser was helpful for many in my family.

This is it's second time around with the FDA. However, many of us used it for muscle repair. in my case when I broke my legs, PT didn't give me the full range of motion I needed around my ankle. One treatment with the Low Level Laser or Cold laser (as they call it now) :D , I was able to move in every direction.
My father used it for his shoulder, one treatment and he was able to raise his arm above his head.....he had not been able to for a couple of years.

I would certainly look into this for post injury repair. I'm not sure how it works of RLS. I'm so glad it's helping you though. That is worth it, no matter what.
I have pain as well, with my RLS. My muscles get so tight you could snap them.

:D :D :D Mind a visitor for a laser appt. ? Kidding I'm sure I can find someone in Dallas that is using it. I hope, if not I'm flying to Ohio.

Keep posting about how the treatments are going, I'll keep an eye out for a laser appt here.

Lynne