magnesium worked

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Flying_Jim

calcium and magnesium

Post by Flying_Jim »

Based upon suggestions on this web site I tried taking calcium and magnesium supplements yesterday afternoon. I read your observations about the short term impact being documented in many of the posts, but yesterday evening I got through to the time were I take my Mirapex without experiencing the miseries of restless leg, an event which has not happened for many, many months, if not longer. I slept in this morning until 7:30 AM, another remarkable event for me. This could be a placebo affect or simply a random event but I am hopeful.

I did take my Mirapex last night as usual because I did not have the energy to fight for another night if this event was a flash in the pan. Of course, I've been changing of the things as well including going back to the swimming I used to do -I swam for 30 minutes doing the overhead crawl and I took a Whirlpool after. In addition I experienced a release the simply by discussing my problems in this bulletin board.

I took the calcium and magnesium supplements again today and I will keep you apprised of whether or not the benefit, coincidental or otherwise, continues.

Regards,

Jim

becat

Post by becat »

Hi Jim,
That is great news.

Newer studies are showing that you should take calcium and magnesium at different times of the day. The calcium will cancel out the magnesium. I know that many brands still sell the too together, but it's the latest hype in the alternative publications ring.

One at breakfast or lunch the other at dinner, or something like that, you get the idea.

I love what cal/mag does for me too.

Keep up the news and welcome to the board.

Lynne

ray

Post by ray »

Glad to hear it seems to be working for you. I bought some today to try after getting the ok from my Dr.

http://appneurology.com/showArticle.jht ... =192201602

The one I got has a coating on it that bypasses the stomach and goes straight to the small intestine. It's supposed to cut down on any chance of an upset stomach (which I get pretty easy anyway.)

Keep us posted!

Ray

D4

Post by D4 »

I read years ago that calcium and magnesium were good for your bones (to help prevent osteoperosis), so I've been taking them in consistently for years spaced out through the day.

It might be helping my bones, but it hasn't helped my RLS.

However, just like any vitamin or mineral, if you happen to be deficient in it, taking it can making a big difference.

ray

Post by ray »

I'm trying it now and it seems to be helping. I'll give it a few months though and let ya know