The Water Cure

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
adria5

The Water Cure

Post by adria5 »

I am 42 and have been suffering from RLS for at least 25 years. These days, I get RLS mainly while lying in bed trying to get to sleep. The following technique almost always puts an end to my "RLSed bed legs" on the spot and I have been using it for the past 7 years. It has empowered me with wonderful control over this insidious syndrome and has allowed me to get a good nights rest!

The Water Cure:

1. Take a relaxing hot shower making sure to spray hot water over the entirety of both legs, from upper thighs to feet.

2. At the very end of the shower, switch the water temperature to cold and spray both legs from the knee down to the feet. Take at least 10 seconds to cover the shins, calves, area behind the knees and the top and bottom of feet. Do not spray cold water above the knees.

3. Towel-dry off legs with an upward motion from the feet up.

4. Enjoy RLS-free legs!

This technique may have the effect of pumping stagnant blood upwards similar to the hot/cold footbaths taken after a sauna. People with painful legs due to vein disorders may also find relief.

The Water Cure has changed my life. I hope that it works for you!

tjmray

Post by tjmray »

Thanks Adria5! Saw this and thought it worth a try. I also use the low salt/extra magnesium diet suggested by Maria Goodwin which if followed religiously provides relief and no need for this little trick. However, in this day and age its soooo hard to keep to this diet all the time, especially when going out to eat with friends or eating holiday dishes. I"ve tried your Water Therapy for a week now and it really works. The thought of pumping stagnant blood sounded plausible. I practice yoga and after warm shower suggestion, I do a relaxing pose with deep breathing in a pose up against a wall with my legs extended up. Each time I've done this before bedtime, I go right to sleep, wife says no jumpy legs and I wake in the same position I went to sleep in. Thanks for the tip. Hope others will try and it helps them.