Could this be a cause for RLS?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Aff

Could this be a cause for RLS?

Post by Aff »

i read a post on a forum i can't seem to post to (bad interface) that maybe lack of oxygen reaching the farther parts of the body is a cause for RLS.

When you sleep your breathing slows and some people breathe very shallow at night, maybe even during the day.

i didn't understand the science that was trying to be explained but wondered if anyone has any information on this theory?

also i have noticed stress seems to bring on rls more.

ray

Post by ray »

I have not heard of this but would be interested if anyone else knows?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

No theory from the major docs that talk about this, but this seems to be a theory I've seen around. Doesn't mean it's not valid, but to my knowledge it's not gaining any ground with the researchers.

They know only a few things:
-our brains are different
-we don't have enough iron in part of the brain
-the lack of iron prevents cells from working normally
-there is a regulation issue regarding dopamine
-a dopamine system in the spinal cord that is little studied is recently implicated in some way, but they don't know how

Other than that, there are all kinds of little things they know that don't necessarily mean anything, such as stress affects RLS. Also, there is primary and secondary and know one know what the difference is.

Per the stress, it's logical if you think of the brain's chemistry being awry - sress changes the chemistry even more, producing more cortisol. Who knows how that affects us? But, I bet it does.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.