Neurofeedback

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
donner

Neurofeedback

Post by donner »

Has anybody tried[b] Neurofeedback [/b]to relieve RLS? The neurofeedback therapists say they have a protocol for RLS but so far, my results are not so great. After 6+ sessions on this treatment, I get much worse pain that over a few days slowly subsides. Hardly what I was looking for, but they say it will 'take' eventually. The drugs don't work for me. Requip gave me nightmares and Sinamet works well but intermittantly, therefore I am trying anything non-pharmaceutical hoping to end 25 years of severe painful RLS.

Wickipedia has a good description of 'neurofeedback', if you are curious.

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

I asked my neuro if neurofeedback could help me. He said no.

Corrie

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

None of my doctors have suggested it either--sorry I can't be more help.

I googled it though. One of the websites said they get a baseline EEG while the patient sits for two hours. I kinda giggled.

Could you see all of us sitting there during a full blown attack of RLS/PLMD for two hours? If it were after 4:00 they would have to have restraints on my chair.

I would LOVE to see my brain waves during those times actually.
Wouldn't all of you?

Rachel

donner

Q-EEG

Post by donner »

I got a Q-eeg, which took only a few minutes. They measured length and frequency of brainwaves from about 20 electrodes, eyes open and closed. The measurments showed a definite 'hot spot' on theplace on the brain that senses pain for the legs. I thought that was interesting.

Neurofeedback is a fairly new RLS therapy and I feel a little bit lika a guinea pig....will let you know if it helps. So far, I just got worse.