exercising right before bed?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
jbrinkley

exercising right before bed?

Post by jbrinkley »

I have not been successful at finding a drug that relieves my RLS. I have to take Lunesta to get to sleep at night. My legs really bother me a few minutes after I lay down and I've found that if I get up and do a bunch of leg lifts on my weight bench, it helps out enough to get me to sleep. Wondering if anyone else has tried this, and do you think I should try working out right before bed? Or do you think this would just wake me up since it gets the heart going so much.

I'm just curious if anyone exercises right before bed. thanks

Neco

Post by Neco »

It probably depends largely on the person.. I know on difficult nights without meds, I have gotten up to do fast pushups several times, which kind of seems to help.

becat

Post by becat »

Hi J,

I walk at night and I think it helps with my sleep. 3.5 miles about 3 hours before bed.

I do know that one of our old timers from the board always said that doing push ups (I think) before bed helped him as well.

For me it seems to explode that energy and it feels better when I lay down for bed.

Nice to see you around!
Lynne

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I walk at night, too, and I know it helps me sleep. If I don't walk at night it's much harder to get to sleep, and often I don't get to sleep until after 5 or 6am. :(

But everyone is different. You need to figure out what helps you. If it helps you sleep, go for it.

Susan

dcline

Post by dcline »

I also exercise when it gets bad (situps). I think it's the extra oxygen you get because of the heavy breathing.

Anneeg

excercize

Post by Anneeg »

I have been trying excercise, both to prevent and at night when the discomfort is more than I can take. I use a small trampoline. It works faster then other methods Ive tried. I have learned to have it next to something I can hang on to when its 3 am and im exhausted and in pain so I dont fall over. Anneeg

estelle

Post by estelle »

I exercise almost every single night.. If it's not a 3 or 4 hour walk, I will bike for a few hours, or go running.
There's a few times I've had to go run a few miles at 2 or 3 in the morning but I try my best to run near the end of the afternoon..

tom3

Post by tom3 »

i think exercise is the best way to be fit our body and also our mind.everyday before going to bed exercise is must.it is said by a doctor.it can remove pain in joint of bone.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Tom, I can't remember if you've always had the "cheap paxil" in your signature, but I have to admit I almost deleted it as spam just now. We don't allow selling of any kind - is this a link that you profit from or are involved with?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

becat

Post by becat »

Tom I did remove it for you.
Ann's right, no selling around here.
EDUCATION AND SUPPORT BOARD.

and most of us around here would know that Paxil has the chance of making our RLS worse.

:)
becat

jojojojo

Post by jojojojo »

i was just about to start a new thread about this when i saw this one!!!

Ive started trying some leg and back stretching exercises before i get into bed - and it has helped incredibly!!!!

Basically, i do basic stretches - stand on one leg, while holding the 'ankle' or whatever you can get hold of of the other leg ... (hopefully you know the one i mean) and i do thta with both legs,

i then look like im trying to hold up a brick wall or bed or something - where you stretch the back of the leg ... do that with both legs,

and then i stretch my back - which also helps a lot!!! I bend backwards as far as i can without support - several times,

then lean over to the right several times,

then the other side several times.

then i lie on the bed, with my knees raised, feet flat on the bed.

I move my knees first to the right several times,

then to the left several times,

then i bring both my knees towards my face several times.

IT DOES HELP ME !!!! Hopefully it will help you too >?
Please sponsor my sister who is doing a zip wire for a hospice.

www.justgiving.com/sharon-cox-zippy

thanks

jiggyanne

Post by jiggyanne »

I do exactly the same thing,but only when nothing else works.

Anne[/img]