Infrared Sauna.

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
walterw

Infrared Sauna.

Post by walterw »

Hello Everyone.

I found this forum recently when researching RLS. I found a lot of great information here and now i wanted to contribute my own findings so i signed up.

I suffer from what i call mild case of RLS, where it does not go away but is tolerable during the day time (I even sometimes do not feel it at all). It attacks with most severe fury at night. I know it's genetic in my family since my mother has it and my grand-mother had it (i can still picture her hitting her legs with Stinging Nettle to alleviate the pain).
I want to share a little experience i had over last 4 days. It may not be permanent cure but it surely helps in my case.
I recently imported some infrared saunas for my wifes business after hearing many good things about it. It seems like everyone was looking for them and they are very expensive and since i got very good deal it sure was a good business decision. But enough about business, sorry.
I'm never to convinced of anything but since wife set up the demo, i went in for a 20 minute session on 3 occasions. I do not know if it's me but my RLS symptoms are gone. Even at night when it was sometimes unbearable i can't feel anything. I'm still very pessimistic about the whole thing, it could be that i have gotten a break and i know the symptoms tend to go away and come back after some time. I was just wondering if anybody else with RLS had any experience with the infrared sauna. I know for fact (i used to visit it after workout at local gym) that the steam sauna did nothing for me. Is this a coincidence? Anyone care to comment?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It's a bit of a drive, but I bet some of us would come and test your theory :wink: . Maybe we can have our first annual RLS meet and greet in your sauna . . . well, not all at the same time. :lol:
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

walterw

You're welcome to come anytime :)

Post by walterw »

Hi,

You're welcome to come anytime :) I still have enough stock in the warehouse for a few of us. :lol:

I find this weird but still no symptoms. I did spend another 20 minutes last night and slept like a baby. Maybe it's just me:)
I'm curious though, if there is anybody who ever tried this. Doe's anyone here in the forum have the infrared sauna? I would really like to hear their opinion. I will keep posting my findings as time goes by.
I am going to bring one sauna over to my mothers house. My parent's 35th. anniversary is coming up so i think i will give them a sauna. (No, i'm not trying to use my mother as a test rat :)).

Cheers

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I would use my mother as a test rat! But, she gets RLS pretty rarely and can walk it off in a 1/2 hour or so. So, maybe I wouldn't use her. I wish I had room on my condo deck for one of these. Too bad. . .
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

walterw

LOL

Post by walterw »

They are not that big and you can actually put one in the bedroom (that's what we are going to do, as i have decided to keep one).

They are only 32" by 35" for a one person unit.

I just hope that it actually works. For now, i will have to wait and see. Maybe someone who tried it will come forward with more information. It would be nice to know that it works (if it works).

I guess i will test it on my mother next weekend. :)

walterw

June 19th. - Still no symptoms.

Post by walterw »

Hello all,

Just a quick update on my RLS symptoms after using Infrared sauna.

It's been 2 weeks (going into 3rd) and still no symptoms. I did not experience any RLS other than one night after a few (to many) beers. I had this uncomfortable feeling in my legs (pain, cramps) but it was not like my symptoms before and it did not last long (or it was beer tha put me to sleep quick :)). I felt like sharing this with everybody :). I still see no responses from anybody else. Has anyone tried it? Is there any MD's that can speculate on this. I'm hoping this stuff works and it's not just my RLS in remission. It does feel good.

Cheers,

Walter

June

saunas

Post by June »

Hey walterw: SO glad to hear this is working for you. I could have used this last night. I know mine is partly hereditery also. My father had it really bad. He would run my mother out of bed at night kicking and jerking, but back then, never knew what it was. Keep us posted.

ctravel12

infrared sauna

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Waterw and welcome to this group.

I have never tried the infrared sauna but thank you for sharing that info with us.

You never know you may have just helped someone, and if that is so, that is wonderful. I really hope that this continues for you. It is wonderful to hear that somone is doing better with their rls.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

walterw

Just an update.

Post by walterw »

Just a quick update. I've been using the sauna regularly, trying to maintain at least 2 sessions every week. No symptoms back yet. I had the weird feeling (not the usual tingling and continuous like before), in my legs few days back. Other than that, i can't complain. I feel great, sleep well and eat well.
I talked to a lot of sauna users over this few months that have passed. It's been very helpful for many people. (non have RLS so i still can't pinpoint the actual benefits of the sauna contributed to my relieve). Most contribute their well being to the ability of disposing of the Toxins from the body. I spoke with cancer patient who underwent Chemotherapy. She said the sauna makes her feel better. I guess there's something in it.
Anyways, i thought of sharing it with you.

Cheers,

Walter

georger

interesting

Post by georger »

Walter,
Thanks for this feeback.....I'm going to check into it....
Sherry :D

jen13

Post by jen13 »

Hi Walter,
I just did a bunch of "Googling" on these spas...how interesting! I'm willing to try anything once, and will look for a location in my area that might provide use/rental as part of their "spa services". (I can't afford to buy one myself.) From what I read these spas have also provided relief to some who suffer from rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, etc. I know everything doesn't work for everyone but to me it's definitely worh a try. Thanks for sharing the information.
Jen

infrared

Infrared vs. Steam sauna

Post by infrared »

All saunas are not the same, that's for sure. There are major differences between steam saunas and infrared saunas -- particularly the penetration of the FAR infrared rays into the body that serve to soothe muscles and stimulate cells to start the detoxification process. See the "Infrared vs. Steam" section at http://www.infraredsaunainformation.com for more details on the differences between the two. It would be interesting to hear about other stories regarding infrared therapy for RLS. Anyone else?