St John's Wort

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Polar Bear

St John's Wort

Post by Polar Bear »

Can anyone tell me if it is ok to take St John's Wort or will it worsen the rls??
Thankyou. Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I don't think I've heard of worsening with it, but everyone is so different.

I have taken it, though, and not had problems. Just my experience.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Hi Betty,

I used to take SJW, but my doctor totally freaked out when I told her. It interacts with just about every drug there is. I studied this a lot, because I thought my doctor must be absolutely nuts to react like that - it's not necessarily a bad drug reaction, but it induces the CYP450 (or whatever) system, meaning that it causes drugs to be metabolized more quickly - so whatever meds you're on, you'll need more of them to be effective. And if you then quit taking the SJW, you could overdose on the other meds... (It seems like grapefruit is similar in how it interacts with meds.)

Other than that, it can be beneficial to RLS, according to Dr. B. It has some effect on dopamine... I stopped taking it because it wasn't working for my depression, and because I'm on so many prescriptions. It's hard enough to get enough opioids to cover my symptoms without taking something that makes my body chew through the opioids faster.

I hope that makes some sense. There are drug interaction checkers at websites like Drugs.com. Plug it in there with the other meds that you take and see what it says.

I hope that helps. :wink:

Susan