Aspartame- The culprit (for me, so far)

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
lambchop

Aspartame- The culprit (for me, so far)

Post by lambchop »

I've suffered from RLS since childhood. I'm in my mid-40's now and was suffering from symptoms every night, staying awake till 2 or 3 am. Mentally and physically exhausted, but the legs just want to keep on moving... I've been delaying trying Requip simply because I have really horrible health insurance. I came across an Internet blurb that associated RLS with Aspartame. I'm a big fan of diet sodas, but the thought of being able to sit through an entire movie at the theater was enough to convince me to try and go with out aspartame for a few weeks to see if it helped. The results were dramatic. After 48 hours without ingesting aspartame, I was sleeping through the night NO RLS!!! I couldn't believe it!! I'm still amazed that I suffered all those years and the answer was so simple... Splenda and stevia seem to not trigger RLS. Unfortunatly, the majority of diet sodas use aspartame. I've found a few that don't. Pepsi One uses Splenda and another smaller label "Waist Watchers" has a Fresca type soda, an orange soda and a cola with no caffeine or aspartame. Propel Fitness drink also has no aspartame. It's only been two weeks since my "no aspartame" experiment started, but so far so good. Fingers crossed.Instead of looking through the entire list of beverage ingredients, I just look for the warning under the ingredient list "contains phenylaline (sp?) the warning means aspartame.
I realize this is probably not the answer for everyone, but give it a try -it can't hurt.[/list]

jen13

Post by jen13 »

Great suggestion, lambchop, glad to hear you're feeling better. I have eliminated Aspartame as well. I also think it helped somewhat. There is also a soda brand called Diet Rite that only uses Splenda. (As far as I know it comes in the flavors of cola, some type of tropical fruit flavor and one other flavor but I can't remember right now.)

I am also trying to cut down on the Splenda as well and my overall sugar intake. I have started using natural, raw honey whenever possible. It is relally delicious and contains B-complex, A, C, D, E, and K vitamins.

A lot of times I also feel that I mainly have a craving for carbonation - I love the bubbles in my glass! So what I have been doing recently is putting a small amount of natural fruit juice (or orange/lemon/lime slices) in a glass and then adding sparkling water and that does the trick for me.

My next plan of action is an iron supplement because I am sligltly anemic. I am praying that I will get some relief from this as well.

KBear

Post by KBear »

Jen- I like your idea of drinking a little fruit juice with some sparkling water when you crave something bubbly. Soda has no nutritional value.
Kathy

Link to the Mayo Clinic Algorithm:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/pd ... 907Crc.pdf

jen13

Post by jen13 »

Thanks, Kathy. Since I've been dealing with RLS, I am so much more aware of what I eat. I still have a long way to go but lately if it doesn't benefit me nutritionally, I don't wan't anything to do with it. (Although we all deserve a little "treat" every now and then!)

I meant to also mention earlier that I bought a book - The Maker's Diet. I just started reading it recently. I may give this 40-day regimen a try. Apparently it has dramatically changed the health of many people suffering from a variety of conditions. Many of them no longer had the need to take medication. This diet seems to have a lot of limitations so it will take willpower. (At least there is no "starving" involved - just a major change in the types of food eaten.) If it turns out that I can't follow it to the letter, I'll just focus on healthy, lowfat eating, lots of fruits and veggies, and less sugar. If I could overcome RLS without pills I'd be thrilled!

If anyone is familiar with or has followed The Maker's Diet, let me know how you feel about it.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I must join the experiment. :) I've had some really horrendous days and nights lately, and I've also had pop with aspartame recently, a couple times. Hmmm. Is there a connection?

I usually don't drink pop - don't like the acid on the teeth. But sometimes the Coke with splenda tastes good. Lately, though I've been having Root Beer cravings, though, and the diet products all seem to have aspartame.

If there's a connection, I could certainly give up my few cans I drink every year of pop with aspartame. :wink:

Susan

KBear

Post by KBear »

Jen- That sounds like a good book I may have to check it out. Right now I am reading The Diet Cure by Julia Ross. I have been getting really good results with an improved diet and amino acid supplements. This book is all about amino acids and their role in our health both as supplements and in our diet.

When making dietary changes it is helpful to start by making small improvements like giving up one thing (soda/pop would be a good place to start) or just add one or two new things (raw almonds, or more fruits and veggies) to your diet.

With soft drinks not only are you dealing with the sweetners (whether it's sugar or artificial sweetner, it's all bad) but you also may be ingesting caffiene, artificial color, and artificial flavoring.

I agree that everyone needs a treat now and then :wink: I am learning to choose mine carefully. My favorite treat is ice cream or frozen custard so if I'm going to have a treat it better be really good and keep me satisfied for at least week. I'm trying to limit my treats to once a week.
Kathy

lambchop

Post by lambchop »

Thanks for all the input, you guys are all correct in being carefull of what we put in our bodies. I'm amazed that the FDA still allows aspartame to be sold. That just proves that there are probably many harmful food substances sold for consumption legally. I, personally, have cut out all simple carbs and sugar from my diet about a year ago. I'm feeling better than I have in years. I'm afraid my one "sweet treat" is diet soda. Thanks Jen for the tip on Diet Rite, I'll check it out. Anyway, good luck to all of you RLS sufferers, I empathize completely! I guess that in a way, it's good that Requip started advertising on TV, now it's so much easier to explain to people why, for example, you can't sit through a movie. I hope you guys all find relief.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I cut out soda years ago. . .slowly, though. First it was the sugar, then caffeine, then the acids (all acids irritate my bladder, even vitamin C). By about ten years ago, I had no options left, lol.

I totally Jones for a sweet drink now and then. I usually make iced tea and add some agave syrup. Not cheap, but not artificial and has a much lower glycemic index, so it doesn't cause that jump in insulin.

Another thing that helps fix a soda tooth is to take sparkling water and add about 3 T or so of fruit juice. It's not sugar free that way, but it does satisfy thirst and has a lot less calories than a sugared soda.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

lambchop

Post by lambchop »

Me again, I wanted to note also that since I've had RLS since maybe age 7 or 8? or possibly earlier. I'm pretty sure sure aspartame was not available or widely used, yet I still had RLS. I'm pretty sure the sugar substitute everyone used back then was saccharin (early '70s). I also was not allowed to drink soda as a child, and if I did have one, I highly doubt it was the diet version.In college, I made the connection between caffeine and RLS. If I was very tired and wanted to be more alert for a lecture, I would drink something caffeinated. This would definitly trigger an RLS episode. So for me, being tired + caffeine = RLS(especially in the evening). Whether or not I drank coffee first thing in the morning seemed to be irrelevant. My conclusion? It seems aspartame is a definite trigger for me as well as untimely caffeine intake. I'm pretty sure I have not completely kicked the whole thing, although for now, it seems to be held at bay. And I will never knowingly ingest aspartame again. Absolutly not worth it. I hope this helps someone else out there.

KBear

Post by KBear »

Lambchop-It seems like most of us go through periods where the RLS seems to just go away. We figure out something that is making it flare up fix that problem (i.e. give up aspartame, take an iron supplement, or whatever) and it goes away for a while. (and hopefully stays away!)

I think it helps all of us to know that there are certain triggers so when it does flare up we know what culprits to look for. To me it just makes sense to improve my diet for a whole bunch of reasons so even if it doesn't help with the RLS, giving up artificial sweetners and excess sugar will help to improve my overall health, so why not.
Kathy

jen13

Post by jen13 »

You guys have really great insight into things. Each post gives me something new to think about; or at least look at my situation from a different perspective. And thanks to you, Kathy, now I want ice cream! Thanks for sharing the name of the book you're reading; I will check that one out as well.

What drives me crazy about the periods of RLS "going away" is that mine can seem to "disappear" within minutes. A little while ago, I was so uncomfortable (cramping) that I had to get up and walk, stretch, pray, and do whatever else to get comfortable. Then about 10 minutes after that, as I was sitting in my recliner, I stopped what I was doing and thought "Oh My God, I am totally comfortable right now with no pain!" I wish I could put this moment in a bottle and take it out whenever I needed it! I also wish that I could have electrodes attached to my legs, my head, or anywhere else on my body that would give some indication on what has changed in my system that just seemed to make the pain disappear. What a mystery.

ctravel12

aspartame- The culprit (for me so far)

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Jen13 I am so glad that you are doing good and hope that it continues. Yes, it would be wonderful if you could put this moment in a bottle.

This is definitely a strange disease and would never wish it on my worse enemy.

Keep up the good work and please keep us posted on how you are doing.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

KBear

Post by KBear »

jen13 wrote:And thanks to you, Kathy, now I want ice cream!

Ooops! Sorry about that. I think I'll go have a delicious treat of fresh veggies. :wink:
Kathy

trust277

Post by trust277 »

My wife had tried to get me to see a doctor for my RLS from the first day that I returned from Iraq. My RLS was so bad that I actually was sleeping on the floor of our bedroom because I knew it was disturbing her. I kept telling her that it was not a problem for me while I was in Iraq. It was obvious to me that it was something in my diet. I first gave up caffene and that didn't help. I did some further research and then gave up aspartame. The results were instantaneous. The first day I gave up aspartame I slept through the night and I can say that I have now slept through the night for an entire week. It makes total sense to me now because in iraq I only drank water or gatorade. I am so glad to have for now gained control of my RLS. I tried an experiment last night and drank a Diet Rite white grape soda that has no caffene and uses Splenda instead of aspartame and it had no effect on me. So now I am very happy to have found something I can drink with my meals. I am grateful for this website and the information I found here!!!
:D
Mike

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Hey Mike, Welcome back to the country, and welcome to this forum. Thank you for being willing to serve our country under such difficult circumstances. Image

I'm glad you found relief from your RLS by switching to non-aspartame pop. I hope your RLS stays gone.
Susan