newspaper article on rls

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
rleggz

newspaper article on rls

Post by rleggz »

Dont' know if it works but a Dr. Got suggests putting a bar of soap under your fitted sheet, near your legs at night. It can be a used or new bar of soap but cannot be Dial or Dove brand. I haven't tried it yet, I'm om Mirapex....Good Luck, rleggz

sthomp66

Post by sthomp66 »

what the heck is a bar of soap supposed to do?

becat

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT

Post by becat »

Ok, I just love this,
My family has been using the soap trick for several years now.......Mom loves to read Dr. Gott. and his last article just this week was in response to his printing the soap thing.
Yes, even people with RLS are getting good results. Not Dove or Dial. These are more detergents than soap. Soap is a combination of lye or ash, and fat. That's most what soap is made of. I do not know why it works but I'm here to say it does.
I have a small storage of hotel size bars of soap.
3 in my bed, at the neck, thigh, and feet. Unwrapped and the thinner the better. Note, not so thin it breaks easily. They are under the bottom sheet.
It's helped many people in my family with RLS, old aches and pains...and of course I've played around with it to see what it helps. I have to experiment with everything.
I have a smaller more square in shapre thin bar that I keep for my monthly period.......I know crazy, but I place it in my pants about belly button area. Not one cramp in the pelvic area at all. Swear it. My legs will still hurt, but the keep me down on a heating pad cramps do not show up. I have also used this smaller bar when I strained my knee before Thanksgiving. I was having company and cooking and did not have time to baby it.........so I took an ace bandage and place the bar of soap where it hurt and wrapped it up. No pain, gone in a day.
It is the funniest thing I've ever seen, but it does work.

sthomp66

Post by sthomp66 »

I'll definitely have to keep this one under wraps. My friends and family already thinks I'm nuts, this is sure to make them think I've gone over the edge!

becat

LOL

Post by becat »

:lol:
AAAhhhhh that's nothing, after all we try in my family, my husband thinks we're all witches and swears I'm doing spells on him after he goes to sleep.....LOL My family avoids doctors and we've got some crazy natural cures.
It's a strange one, but it works.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Well, didn't work for me. . . and there are a whole bunch of RLSers on one of the Yahoo sites that it didn't work for either. I guess it's worth a try because it's free and easy, but I certainly wouldn't want people to get the impression that a certified movement disorder with a know cause in the brain simply requires soap in the bed. My guess is that if every reader on this board gave up their meds and tried this for a week, 99 percent would be back on their meds immediately! (And this from someone who does take homeopathic remedies, believes in accupunture, etc.).

Ann

becat

O PLease

Post by becat »

O PLease Ann,
Honey I still take the meds.............not going to take soap that far. but it does some good for me.

nephriticus

Post by nephriticus »

Bar of soap! I thought I heard "bowl of soup." Dang! No wonder I couldn't sleep all night. :wink:
Neph
Currently RLS free. Symptoms stopped almost abruptly after my long term, full time care giving duties ended with passing of wife. No stress, no RLS.

becat

Hate waking to noodles

Post by becat »

Neph!!!!!!!
Don't you hate waking to noodles?????????? Did you prefer Campbell's or Pregresso?
As always, you crack me up.

nephriticus

Post by nephriticus »

Hi, Becat

Would you believe tortilla soup? I'm still brushing tortilla chip crumbs from the bed. :?
Neph
Currently RLS free. Symptoms stopped almost abruptly after my long term, full time care giving duties ended with passing of wife. No stress, no RLS.

Anonymous

Bar of Soap

Post by Anonymous »

I have had RLS for years since I was a young child, I would wiggle my toes all nite.It was always a joke that I did that, no one even knew what I had. Now that I am older it has gotten worse and I would often wake up even with the meds but using the soap under the bottom sheet has helped me sleep through the nite. Make fun of it or not, if it works I am for it. Try it for a while and see.

Loisann

lynnebaker@juno.com

Soap under the sheet

Post by lynnebaker@juno.com »

I'm a new user of this website and just posted a letter saying this technique works for me like a charm - then I found all these other comments regarding the same trick. Glad it is working for some of us! Now I'll try it on other body parts....

sophia398

Post by sophia398 »

Has anyone ever wondered how someone even thought to try this trick? How in the world would someone say one day, "Hey let me try a bar of soap in my bed, I bet that will help my RLS!" In any event, after that lousy night of sleep the other day, if it should happen again, you better believe that I'm going to give it a try! Thanks for the tip!

jrowley

Dr. Gott

Post by jrowley »

does anyone have the link to dr gotts writings?
Jan :roll: Can't wait to sleep!