This Works For Me!

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
hotfeet

This Works For Me!

Post by hotfeet »

Hi Everyone
being a new member thought I would share my experience of RLS.
Suffered with RLS for over 30 yrs but now can manage the symptoms by:

1: keeping the room cold by means of a fan or open window.
If you have burning feet it is vital to cool the complete body,especially pulse points, not just the feet. When the blood vessels completely tighten ( you can actually feel this with practise ) then the RLS will go.

2: the most effective way, for me, and I only discovered this about 1 month ago, is when the RLS starts I lie on my stomach with head to the right so that the weight is heavier over the heart area. Symptoms disapear in about 5mins. Works everytime!

Has anyone else found this to work?
Jenny

ctravel12

this works for me

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Jenny and welcome to this group. I am glad that you are able to find relief for your rls. Thank you for sharing this info. You never know that what you just said may help someone and that is what this board is all about.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

BTW I have tried sleeping on my stomach if I wake during the night (when my legs are restless) and sometimes it does work and sometimes not. I always say what works for one may not always work for another.

Good luck to you and have a great day.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

Aff

Post by Aff »

i suffer from hot feet and do the same. it doesn't always work but it's an essential part of my night time regime. hot feet are worse than rls sometimes.

marie

marie

Post by marie »

If you feel relief from sleeping on the stomach with your neck turned to one specific side,you may want to have your spine checked for subluxations ( neck expecially)

Marie (the chiropractor)

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Marie,

I also generally find relief from PLM's when sleeping only on my stomach which I have done as far back as I can remember. Lately even that is not working. If I turn to lay on either side or turn on my back the movements start in a matter of minutes. This typically only occurs at bedtime...Mmmm.
I can lay on by back or side during the day i.e. watching tv etc. without any problem. Ok, ok I'm getting to it. So, the question is..would this still be an indication of "sublaxations." Also, do you know of any professional research particularly with respect to chiropractic having a healing effect on PLM. Thanks.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

ngarde

Post by ngarde »

i find lying on my stomach during the night really helps and bringing one knee up to the side. and keeping my feet cold, sticking them out of the duvet. but i was reading in another post, that weight on the legs is meant to be good. i find any weight unbearable. whenever my boyfriend puts his legs on mine while my legs are at me i hate it.

anyone else hate the weight?
I'm so so tired!!

ctravel12

This works for me!

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Ngarde and welcome to this group. I have tried sleeping on my stomach and sometimes it helps and then sometimes not. When my legs act up and if I could get hubby to lay on them, I would do it in a heartbeat LOL.

You have found a wonderul supportive group and keep us posted on how you are doing
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

becat

Post by becat »

Hi Me again, :D ...

I like weight and the stomach sleeping is helpful, pressure at the right amount is wonderful.

I have read on another rls board that one woman was like you, did not like pressure or weight on her at all. I felt so bad, as it was her cat that loved to jump in her lap, but she could not stand it. So she had to train the cat to sit beside her.....so don't feel bad.

Ngarde, your going to find that we all have little things that are different or alike, but it's ok if your's are different. It's just the way we are.
Your really reading the board and that is a great thing.

Glad to have you.
Lynne

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Ngarde - there are definitely two camps here - those that like pressure (not only like it, but it helps) and those that can't abide it (not only don't like it, but it sets off RLS). I am with you! My sister and mother are just the same. Not sure how my grandmother was.

A few years ago, my mom, sister and I were talking about how our partners think we aren't affectionate. Not one of us likes to cuddle - it's AWFUL to have someone even touching my legs, let alone putting any pressure on them. Just putting a hand on my thigh while watching TV can set off a bout of RLS. I just shivered as I typed that - horrors!

I wonder if we should take a poll. . .maybe there is something we could find out, like that people who like pressure are more likely to have a pain component or some such.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

cadmonkey

Post by cadmonkey »

Pressure and contact are different results in me - I don't have a sig other but if my dog tries to lay against my leg(s) it fires up the symptoms. Wrapping my legs does help if wrapped tight enough, except that tight enough to relieve the symptoms is too tight and constricts. I do have a pain component to my RLS, which is what first led me to believe it was something other than RLS.

Sleeping on my stomach doesn't help, laying on my back or left side is the only position that seems to help, and I'm not sure if it's actually helping or just an easier position for me to move in.

On a side note my dog will no longer lay along side my legs - he sleeps by my head now.

Greg