Progress!!!!!!!

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
mauekat

Progress!!!!!!!

Post by mauekat »

OK, so you can read my boyfriend, Dean's story below in my first posting. He has made tremendous progress since I posted it in June.

He started receiving chiropractic care in March. Our chiropractor told us that he believed he could help us but that it would take a while, and that it may get worse before it gets better. When Dean lost his job, the chiropractor even waived the fees in order to ensure that he continued to receive treatment. I knew that he really wanted to help and wasn't just selling his services when he did that.

Anyway, I am happy to report that since Dean's hospitalization in June, he has slept consistently through the night, almost every single night. The nights that he hasn't slept well have not been because of rls, but because he lies awake worrying about things.

Since he's started sleeping again, he has made very minor, but very noticeable improvement in his cognitive function. He's able to do small things that he couldn't do a few months ago (open a combination lock, some problem solving abilities have returned, he can understand instructions a little better) and his mood has improved.

When he was in the midst of the 13 days with no sleep, he was on 3 mirapex per evening, which did nothing. Now, he takes one before bed, only if his legs are jumpy.

Let me explain something... Our chiropractor did a nerve scan on Dean in March, which showed some unhealthy nerve activity in his upper neck and a little in his lower back. After treatments 3 times a week for 3 months, the next nerve scan showed a lot of unhealthy nerve activity in his lower back, which is the area that controls your legs. That was about the time Dean went into the hospital with the violent rls episode. The last nerve scan about a month ago, showed no unhealthy nerve activity anywhere in his back. I believe that this pattern follows what the dr told us about things getting worse before they get better.

His treatments were 3x a week for about 4-5 months (remember, he had very severe rls) and then 2x a week for a month. Now he's down to once a week. The treatments were an adjustment with the chiropractor, 30 min deep tissue massage on his legs with the massage therapist, and 10 minutes on the traction table.

Another difference - like it or not, we started to pray. We gave God control of the situation and literally, over night, Dean started to sleep. Take what you want out of that part, but God is real and I'm so grateful for the progress Dean has made.

I know that different things work for different people, but the problem with chiropractic care is that it's a long-term treatment. You can't go once or twice and expect to see it work right away. Also, I know many insurance plans won't cover it. Third, you need to make sure that you get a chiropractor that understands rls and how to treat it. Our dr seems to believe that it's somehow associated with pinched nerves in your spine. We actually went to him because he had a sign out front that said he could help people suffering with rls.

Whatever...I just praise God for the way our lives have turned around in 2 months. Go back and read my first posting. I was devastated and didn't know what we were going to do. God's bigger than us, and he created us. He knows exactly how to get our attention so that we start to seek him out and he knows how to give us what we need. I never knew it could be so incredibly sweet to watch someone sleep. Watching Dean sleep deep, restful sleep is one of the biggest blessings in my life now.

God bless you all in your search for treatments and rest.

Here's my first posting in this forum(non-pharmaceutical therapies). The subject was NEW MEMBER***********************************************************
Hi everyone.

I don't suffer with rls but my boyfriend (Dean) has for the last 5 years. The resulting fatigue has caused him significant cognitive issues and cost him his 28 year career as a police officer.

Because of his cognitive difficulties, I've become his eyes, ears and mouth with physicians so I try to stay educated on this rotten condition.

Last week, Dean wound up in the hospital after 13 days solid with no sleep. His rls and plmd seemed to go into overdrive and involve his entire body. We went to the ER 4 times in 5 days and kept getting told that the ER is no place for rls and they couldn't help. Finally, one of the ER docs saw how violently his body was convulsing and insisted he be monitored and checked for epilepsy. I kept telling them that this was no seizure, just rls and plmd, but no one would listen. I guess they thought that he had been having seizures every night all night for the last 5 years - geniuses.

I've been reading some of the posts and had some questions and comments:

1 - Dean was on Clonazepam (klonopin) early on and became so foggy and confused, there were days he couldn't write his name much less do his job. He was checked for brain tumors, stroke and tested for alzheimers. Finally, our alzheimers dr. had him pulled off of klonopin and he immediately improved. He still has significant problems due to lost sleep but the klonopin made it 3x worse. Be careful if you're on klonopin.

2 - Mirapex and Requip stopped working for him months ago. We're constantly looking for non-pharm remedies.

3 - Not to bring up a sore spot with everyone, but this oil that you all fought about, I'm curious about. I heard from someone else that oil of oregano that is heated and applied to the lower back will help. Is this the same thing as the oil mentioned on the site, or is this different? Has anyone tried the oil of oregano?

4 - I too have wondered if it would help Dean's symptoms if I were able to get the inflatable sock that hospitals use to stop embolisms. After reading your posts, I ran to the pharmacy and bought a $30 surgical sock, but it doesn't seem to be stopping the jumping. Does anyone know about the ones that inflate (where to get them, what are they called, what do they cost?)

5 - Dean currently sees the chiropractor and massage therapist 3x per week. We have seen some improvement...I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for this forum. I hope to one day read on here about the cure for this illness.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

I am so very happy that both you and Dean are doing so much better. Such courage. Thanks for telling your story and I think it gives hope to many others who visit here. Continued best luck.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

georger

More info on Chiro treatment

Post by georger »

Thanks for sharing this information about Chiropratic helping. I would like to know more about what your Chiro Doctor was doing in treatments. If at all possible, I would like to know his business number, including area code to call and ask questions.

I have RLS, and have always thought that I would like lower back treatments to see if they make a difference....

Thanks,
Sherry

mauekat

Chriopractor Information

Post by mauekat »

Sherry,

Sorry it took so long for me to reply.

Our chiropractor is Dr. Patrick Komeshak and he can be reached at 618-233-6100. I asked for his permission to provide his information and he told me that if you were to contact him, he could check some things and possibly help you find an appropriate doctor in your area.

Dr. Komeshak's website is http://www.komeshakchiropractic.com/

Please keep in mind that this I'm not posting any kind of ad for my doctor. Someone specifically requested this information so I'm providing it. I know that there are strict rules about advertising products or services on this site.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

M, I am extremely happy for the both of you. What a wonderful story of success. Please keep us posted.

M>
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

pedrime

Post by pedrime »

That is wonderful news. I agree re. prayer and I'm often embarrassed to talk about it at the risk of people thinking I'm nuts. I prayed intensely every night, on my knees, before bed over the summer and I slept 10X better than I do now. Thanks for reminding me, I'm gonna start again this evening.

georger

Post by georger »

Thank you for listing the Chiropractors number. I share the view that the spine is involved in my RLS issues.

Also, site Administrator, thanks for keeping this item on the boards. I was happy to see the response, it had taken me awhile to log on and check for the answer to my question....

Sherry :)