Kava Kava

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Catfish

Kava Kava

Post by Catfish »

I was recently at the local hippie store and asked them about Kava Kava.
Previously I had taken the little pills filled with powder and tinctures of alcohol and Kava, but had never actually had it the traditional way.
So they had some in a big jar behind the counter and told me how much use to make Kave tea (for lack of a better word)
So I looked up how to make it and made up a batch and drank it down.
It was very interesting. Very, well, I am not sure if relaxing is the right word, but I felt good although my legs were still tingly. I just didn't care.
Now, you don't get high, you don't get drunk, you just relax. Nice and clean, but it doesn't actually stop the RLS, you just don't care as much.
Has anyone else actually tried the traditional use of Kava Kava?
Catfish
If you see the Buddha on the road, kill him...

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

That sounds lovely. I may have to try it.
Susan

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

I never tried it either but I'm THERE.

I'm skeptical of a claim of something that you can buy in a head shop that makes you relax.

Is the ingredient Kava? and what is it?

walkindafloors

Post by walkindafloors »

My husband found a web site that sells "chilling mix" and out of desperation for me and my rls, ordered some for me to try. Like the Kava Kava, it seems to make me relax and doesn't always take away the rls, but like you, I just don't care as much it's bothering me. Very similar to a pot high, but the seller swares it's just natural herbs and guarantees a negative drug test. Someday (when I run out and care again) I may pick up a test and see for myself, but for now... don't care!
Who took the FUN out of disFUNctional?
Kim <><

Catfish

Post by Catfish »

I just remembered that I have one last bit of the Kava Kava root left. I think I might have to do something about it.
There was some talk some time back about Kava being bad on your liver, but there was not a lot to back it up.
The tinctures they sell in the store are mostly alcohol and they make my mouth numb as hell. The pills, eh...
I think the traditional fixin' of the Kava works best.
I take the root and grind it real fine in a coffee grinder then put the powder in a glass jar with a bunch of water then shake it for a long long time... kinda theraputic, actually, keeps me occupied. Then I strain it through an old tank top I have sitting around and squeeze out anything that happens to be left in the mash...
Then I look at a bunch of dirty water and think to myself "how much am I supposed to drink" and "this is going to be nasty" and stuff like that... then I just chug a lug a bunch of it and there you go...
Most of the health food stores I have gone to around here (both of them) have had a big glass jar of Kava Kava root that you can measure out what you want.... who knows how long it has been sitting there though, or it that matters...
Catfish

shizwak

kava

Post by shizwak »

i too have seen this remedy but have no clue where to buy it! i have researched it and it is safe as long as its pure kava root with no stems or peels. no stores sell it here. if you can find this i will love to know where.!!!

shizwak

where do u live?!!

Post by shizwak »

where do you live? i want some. how much is it? gnc and vitamin world do not sell it. out of ideas and im too lazy to order it online and i hate using my card on the net. but it is available online. can someone maybe send me a root or jar??

Catfish

Post by Catfish »

Hey,
In the greater Seattle Area you can find Kava root in many many places, Marleens, Tenzing Momo at the Pike Place Market, and all those other health food stores around town.
GNC and those types of stores won't carry it. You will need to venture to <shudder> a healthfood store</shudder>. Should have some in the bulk foods section.
While you are there get yourself some of them Wasabi crackers and a spirulini smoothie... Oh, and don't forget to swing by the incense section and try some of the many essential oils they have out for testing... Oh, and some smoked tofu...
Catfish

KBear

Post by KBear »

Hey, I actually like some of those things :wink:
Kathy

Link to the Mayo Clinic Algorithm:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/pd ... 907Crc.pdf

Catfish

Post by Catfish »

Me Too!!!
I was just naming off the things I usually do to complete the experience.
Catfish

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

Kava Kava is free and in these huge copper basins in all the resturants in Figi. The locals drink it all the time. You just get a mug and go help yourself. It is very relaxing, I think I have seen it in some of the health food stores in tablet form.

Neco

Post by Neco »

Maybe I'm thinking of something else that's very similar or maybe it is the same, but isn't Kava psychotropic/hallucinogenic ?

I remember some show where these natives went out and hacked the stuff up, brought it back, did their little processing thing to get some liquid outta it, and then drank it and had their "visions" and what not ?

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

I tried the Kava Kava pills along time ago and they actually work for a short time. Those you can buy in most stores, even Walmart use to have it.