So who has tried a new bed to combat rls?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Aff

So who has tried a new bed to combat rls?

Post by Aff »

i was using MJ for a long time to combat rls. then i bought a new bed and combined was having the best sleep ever.

now i've quit MJ and the new bed is holding its own. it's not 100% but it's a hell of alot better.

the thing is, alot of the trouble i had with rls was worry about waking up my g/f because of my movements.

we agreed to get a massive bed with a zip down the middle. amazingly she can't feel my movements now and in turn has relaxed me when i get rls.

instead of trying to stop it (making it worse) i endure it, move about and drift off.

i'm not saying it's the total answer but a firm bed (orthopaedic) with a divider has worked wonders. my old bed was soft and bending all over the place in comparison. and a divided bed is not the passion killer some might be thinking lol.

anyone else found this helps?

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Yeah, got a new memory foam which has less movement, couldn't get a massive one cos room isn't big enough, but still, it helps. It's the taking the pressure off of disturbing a partner !!

Aff

Post by Aff »

hi betty, glad it's helped you.

i bought a foam mattress though (the memory ones) thinking it would be the answer but it only helped the g/f.

what it didn't do was allow me to jig my legs like i used to. it sounds ideal but it made it worse. when you wanna jig, you wanna jig!!!

so had to put that in the spare room (wasted money there) on top of the other spare bed (it's like a tower block in there now lol) and get a new uber bed with pocket springs and divider. worth every penny though.

pocket springs are ace, you get to jig but it only affects the bit where you're feet are. :D

jen13

Post by jen13 »

My sleep has improved since I purchased a nice, firm, good quality Sealy mattress. I don't have a pillow-top; the standard firm mattress seems to help.

jbrinkley

Post by jbrinkley »

I bought a latex stearns and foster, with the thick pillowtop and it has really helped me. I was using a mattress that was about 20 years old and it was killer trying to sleep on it. I usually ended up on the couch. I haven't had to make one trip to the couch, I don't know if its the bed or the mirapex that I started about the same time, I think its prolly a combination of both, I don't care what it is, I'm just glad I've found something that helps me sleep. I hated spending the money I did, until that first night of sleep, then after that, it was ok... I suggest getting a good bed to anyone, especially if you are keeping your better half awake like I was... anyway, I love my bed, and I no longer hate going to bed like I used to.

Haggi

Post by Haggi »

My old mattress was killing me. Both my legs and my back hurt all the time. I now have a firm Sealy Posturepedic with a 3 inch memory foam topper and my back pain is much more managable, although I still get stiffness in my neck and between my shoulders.

I don't think the mattress is doing much for my RLS, but the Mirapex seems to do the trick most nights and I have lorazapam (switched from clonozepam) for the nights when I need a little extra help.
--Haggi

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Good to hear you're getting relief, Haggi!
Susan