Where did I read this? Iron supplements

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
ViewsAskew

Where did I read this? Iron supplements

Post by ViewsAskew »

The other night I was reading a thread on a message board about iron supplements. I can't find it. I've gone through all recent posts on all the boards I read, and I can't find it. Someone was posting about a supplement she was taking that had more than one type of iron in it as some people absobed one form better than another (I think that's what the post said). Oh, and I realize that iron is iron, but it's what its bound to - gluconate, sulfate, etc.

So. . . Anyone have any comments about types of iron to take? Since my ferritin is 23, I want to get it up. I didn't have the research with me when I went to my doc and she was skeptical, but humored me and said it wouldn't hurt me to take it, but she didn't give any advice. I can always request a new test in 3 months, but need to know what and how much to take. From my research, looks like most people are taking 325 ferrous sulfate daily. Anyone have problems with this? Use anything different?

Thanks in advance!
Ann

TumbleWeed

Temporary relief 800-1000MG Calcium

Post by TumbleWeed »

I just found the name RLS a few months ago and have been suffering since birth. (I just turned 321yrs old. :shock:)

Only I thought it had to do with insomnia, and have been treated for sleep disorders for years to no avail. You can try tums and you will feel the pain tingle away and its good for a few to several hours.

The ingredient that you need to reduce and/or get rid of the pain (temporary) is the calcium 800mg in tums. If you can't take tums try calcium supplement up to 1000mg an hour before bed.

I have found all antihistamine drop me to the floor in pain x10 (cry like a Baby) till last summer i was given pure powder potassium (mg unknown but off the charts) I spent three days in a ball on the floor of my closet wanting to be put out of my misery.

I can't take this pain and do things unmentionable on this site to stop the pain and get sleep, but the above remedies have worked for 20-40 yrs.

anyone with remedy for the severe RLS please advise.

restless

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner »

Do some research on your own, look at the little research available and try medical marijuana. Sounds like RLS is a huge quality of life issue for you and it would not hurt to trt it under the supervision of a physician in a state that allows for it.

ViewsAskew

Re: Temporary relief 800-1000MG Calcium

Post by ViewsAskew »

TumbleWeed wrote:I just found the name RLS a few months ago and have been suffering since birth. (I just turned 321yrs old. :shock:)

The ingredient that you need to reduce and/or get rid of the pain (temporary) is the calcium 800mg in tums.

I have found all antihistamine drop me to the floor in pain x10

I can't take this pain and do things unmentionable on this site to stop the pain and get sleep, but the above remedies have worked for 20-40 yrs.

anyone with remedy for the severe RLS please advise.

restless

Welcome Resless,

Glad that calcium works sometimes for you. It does for some, not sure why. Like most things, the treatments that work are so individualized! Calcium and magnesium don't do anything for me. Many of us have found out about the antihistimines the hard way! Ferritin levels can be low and taking iron can help, but many people have RLS without low ferritin levels.

For many of us, it's trial and error. IMHO, the most important thing is a good knowledge base. Read, read, read. The second most important thing to me is a doctor that will listen, learn and work with me. That can be hard to find. I've fired several docs, as have many of us on this board. You many have already done so. If you don't have one, that's an important thing to find. Most of us with severe RLS have to take drugs. Again, it's trial and error. I've just found something that seems to be working (in the last 5 days), but it could be a fluke and I'll have to try again.

Try the following link:
http://beta.restlesslegs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=549
It lists several links to good sites that may offer help. Hope one or more of them helps you find some relief.

Ann