OTC "Restful Legs"

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
KBear

OTC "Restful Legs"

Post by KBear »

I recently tried an over the counter homeopathic treatment called "Restful Legs" that provided some relief. The main ingredients are: Arsenicum Album, Lycopodium, Pulsatilla, Rhus Toxicodendron, Sulphur, and Zinc Metallicum.

It comes in small pills that you dissolve under your tongue whenever symptoms occur. I keep it bedside for those bouts that wake me up in the middle of the night. I found it at Walgreens near the aspirin section.

My sister had tried it and recommended it to me. As always I am trying many things at the same time so not sure which ones are working however this actually seemed to reduce the symptoms after they had already started. It took about 20 minutes but I did go back to sleep.

At first I was taking it preventively (before symptoms) but that seemed like a waste to me so now I just keep it within reach and take it when symptoms start.
Kathy

Link to the Mayo Clinic Algorithm:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/pd ... 907Crc.pdf

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Thanks for reporting, Kathy. Do keep us posted as to if it keeps working. I find it disturbing that the first ingredient is arsenic, but maybe it's such a tiny amount as to not be harmful? In fact homeopathic remedies that are targeted for what I would buy them for always seem to have arsenic or mercury or something that makes me not want to ingest it...
Susan

KBear

Post by KBear »

I did not know that Arsenicum Album is the same thing as Arsenic. So I did a little research. Here is what I found:

Arsenicum album is a homeopathic remedy derived from the metallic element arsenic. Traces of arsenic are found in vegetables and animals. In its crude form, arsenic is poisonous. Gradual accumulations may result in digestive disturbances, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, coma, shock, convulsions, paralysis, and death.

Arsenic was used as a remedy for certain types of cattle disease as far back as the eighth century. In the seventeenth century, arsenic was applied topically to treat malignant ulcers and skin diseases in humans. Taken internally, it was used to treat fevers. When frequent and repeated doses of arsenic resulted in poisoning and death, arsenic was pronounced unsafe for use. However, housewives and practitioners still used arsenic and were often successful in their treatments. Eventually arsenic use was reinstated. Weak compounds of arsenic were often used to increase strength and endurance, remedy anemia, and improve the skin and fur of animals. An ointment made from arsenic was used to treat cancerous growths and tumors.

Essentially the amounts used in homeopathic treatments are so miniscule that even if you consumed the entire bottle in one sitting it would not result in poisoning. (I would not recommend trying this though :wink: )

I was reluctant to try Restful Legs because it contains Sulfer and I am allergic to Sulpha but I was assured that these are not the same thing.

The last few nights I haven't needed it so I'll have to wait for my RLS to return (all the while hoping that it won't) to test it again. Since I seemed to get good results on the few nights that I did try it I thought I'd mention it so others can decide if they would like to add it to their "bag of tricks".
Kathy

KBear

Post by KBear »

I had the opportunity to try the "Restful Legs" again on Friday night when my legs woke me up and once again it helped! It's staying in the bag of tricks. :wink:
Kathy