Cream of Wheat or Farina

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
mesolo

Cream of Wheat or Farina

Post by mesolo »

I just have to share this with everybody, it worked for me and possibly you too!

For quite some time my legs have been hurting and it seems like the last few years they have gotten worse. I didn't know what the problem was until I started seeing commercials for RLS. However, I didn't want to go to a doctor, I wanted my legs cured, not treated. Plus, I don't have insurance and not that much money. So I first Googled what the cause was attributed to, Diabetes, Anemia, Iron Deficiency, etc. I narrowed it down to Iron :idea: because I didn't think I was getting enough Iron in my food. Googled Foods Rich in Iron, http://www.bloodbook.com/ iron-foods.html

Came up with this:

Some Good Sources Foods Rich in Iron* (Dietary Iron) are:

List of Grains Rich in Iron: Iron (mg.)

Brown rice, 1 cup cooked 0.8
Whole wheat bread, 1 slice 0.9
Wheat germ, 2 tablespoons 1.1
English Muffin, 1 plain 1.4
Oatmeal, 1 cup cooked 1.6
Total cereal, 1 ounce 18.0
Cream of Wheat, 1 cup 10.0 :idea: :
Pita, whole wheat, 1 slice/piece, 6 ½ inch 1.9
Spaghetti, enriched, 1 cup, cooked 2.0
Raisin bran cereal, 1 cup 6.3

Took Cream of Wheat (because I liked it better than Total) and almost instantaneously my legs felt better! However, I don't want any of you to think I just took it once and that was it. I've been taking it now for almost two weeks, once in the morning and once at night and my legs feel great. I still can't believe such a simple thing as adding more Iron to my diet would help, but it did. Now I want to tell everyone about my amazing discovery.

Hope this works for you the way it did for me!!! :lol: :lol:

mesolo

Post by mesolo »

Has anyone tried this since I posted? Just curious if it's worked for anybody else?

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I've been replacing a protein bar a day with a bowl of Total, but I can't say I've noticed any difference. But then my symptoms, aside from the kicking, are pretty much controlled by meds.
Susan

KBear

Post by KBear »

I've been adding extra iron to my diet for several months now and it has helped. I'm not completely cured but I do sometimes go for a couple weeks without symptoms.
Kathy

Link to the Mayo Clinic Algorithm:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/pd ... 907Crc.pdf

mesolo

Post by mesolo »

thanks for replying, I was just curious to find out if anybody was having the same results I did.

It's funny I didn't expect to be cured of RLS so soon after taking something so simple like a breakfast cereal fortified by Iron. My legs hurt for over 30 years...or more.

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

I have to agree with Susan that I do watch what I eat but mine are controlled by my meds too.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

snowbound

Post by snowbound »

I also agree that watching what u eat is very important in regards to RLS. I've had to cut out some foods i really love but if it helps keep the RLS symptoms somewhat livable, it's certainly worth it imo.

snowbound

mesolo

Post by mesolo »

what are you eating in terms of foods rich in Iron? Are you taking any Iron supplements?