Naturopath & Homoeopathic remedies

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
estelle

Naturopath & Homoeopathic remedies

Post by estelle »

For anyone desperate out there:

I have been seeing a naturopath for 3 months now, and it's probably the smartest thing I have ever done so far. I've had RLS for 3 years (yet only discovered it was RLS last July), and I've been freaking out about it ever since I've found out what it was. I refused to see any kind of medical doctor and take whatever prescribed medication. I read a lot about them, and I was afraid of the side affects. So, my last resort was a naturopath.

I got my ferritin level tested, and everything is perfect. I got tested for god knows how many tests, and everything is fine... so, right now, here is what I am taking:

- Homeopathic remedies: ZINCUM METALLICUM. What's great about this is that there are no side effects.. it's all natural. and my RLS goes down by about 50% when I take 1 dose. I just started taking this.. and I'm glad I found it! Plus, it's pretty cheap!!

So far it's only a temporary relief.. but trust me, a temporary relief is better than nothing!! I take walks every day, and go running on a regular basis, yet nonetheless, my RLS has always been there.

The other product I take is valerian combo. It's a bunch of extract from flowers that helps fight insomnia. It does help me sleep much better, yet it doesn't take the RLS away. But, I still recommend it. After a long walk at night, it also helps to fall asleep, and you WON'T feel like you're in a coma the next morning! It's the great thing about it-- there are no side effects like any of those sleeping pills available on the market.

Give it a try, or see a naturopath. They are amazing, and they will do everything and anything to help you. I strongly recommend it. Email me if you have any other questions.

Cheers-
EsteLLe
skyfitsheavensoflyit(at)yahoo.ca

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Sorry, Valerian did nothing for me.
But brilliant that it helps you.

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

I also tried the valerian, kava kava and just about all the herbs many years ago for my rls and kava kava did help me sleep for a few nights,but that is about all I ever got out of these type meds. But as Betty said its great that you are finding help from these, I hope they will continue to control your rls. I have heard others say they have been helped by valerain and Kava Kava, so again its just depends on the person as with so many other things used to help rls.

I suggest that anyone taking herbs to be sure and check to make sure they do not interfere with any other prescription med you are taking and also make sure that any herb you are taking does not interfere with another herb. While they are natural meds, they can cause problems. So be sure and research these also.

estelle

Post by estelle »

cool!

well, like I said, the valerian just helps me sleep, but it doesn't take RLS away at all.

I wanted to post this link to the homeopathic remedies:

http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/health ... ome_hm.htm

cheers-

KBear

Post by KBear »

Estelle thanks for posting that link, very interesting. Arsenicum Album, Sulpher, zinc metallicum, and Rhus toxicodendron are all in an over the counter med called "Restful Legs" by Hyland. This remedy has helped me quite a bit, it is available at Walgreens.

Another remedy prescribed by my naturo path is called Mygale Agaricus. This remedy seems to help with the "creepy crawly" sensations but not with the urge to move. I don't see this one listed on this site.
Kathy

Link to the Mayo Clinic Algorithm:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/pd ... 907Crc.pdf

estelle

Post by estelle »

Hi Kbear,

oh cool- I didn't know about 'restful legs' med by Hyland..

yeah we'll see about this zincum metallicum-- it works, but only for a short period of time I find..

KBear

Post by KBear »

I agree, but sometimes it works just long enough so that I can fall back to sleep. It's not perfect but it's definately a keeper in my "tool box".
Kathy

happyfeet

Post by happyfeet »

Soooo, I have just started trying that "Restful Legs" by Hyland's.

Night One: 2 tabs/Legs not so bad

Night Two: 2 tabs/Legs not so bad and hubby said I did not kick him during the night so he also slept.

so tonight is #3. I need to keep a journal while I take this medicine.

I had no luck with taking aspirin at night. Has anybody found relief by using aspirin?

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Happy Feet I hope that "Restful Legs" works for you.

If I happen to have a bout with my legs (which I have had at times) i do not up my meds instead I take regular tylenol and it does help me but it may take a few hours but will get the relief and that is what is important.

Let us know how the "Restful Legs" continue to work for you.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Rarely does anyone say that asipirin or any NSAID pain reliever helps. Once in a while, but not often.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

happyfeet

Post by happyfeet »

I hope restful legs work, even so I plan on checking in with my primary care doctor and get her opinion too. what do you take Ctravel?

KBear

Post by KBear »

I use "Restful Legs" only after symptoms present themselves. I have found that I am able to relax and go back to sleep within 10-20 minutes. I do sometimes wake up a few hours later. When this happens I dissolve two more under my tongue and fall back to sleep again within 10-20 minutes. This has helped me get through the night on several occasions.

I also use Ambien (about 5-10 nights per month) and recently added hydrocodone for pain (2-3 days/nights per month). The Restful Legs product helps me get through those nights when my RLS is less severe and I am not taking my other meds.
Kathy

happyfeet

ugh...

Post by happyfeet »

night 3: 2 tabs/still awake after 2 hours. got up walked around. back to bed. 45min later got up walked around, had a bit to eat. read newspaper. Got a headache from reading without my glasses. Think I fell asleep after 3am.

The cat woke up my husband and he woke me up accidently. By accident I mean the cat jumped on husband and husband's arm bopped me in the face! :lol: I think we need a king sized bed. More room for my kicking. Our darling cat sometimes thinks that 4am is feeding time.

I could not shut off my mind. Ideas, thoughts, and plans kept swimming through my head. That's the hard part, learning to let go so I can go to sleep.

So tonight I will relax, and try again.

HP

PS my period started last night. Yeah me! (she says sarcastically )

:roll: :roll:

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Happy Feet I take .125mg of mirapex and 1mg of clonazapem. My neurologist suggested that I take have of the .125mg around 4 pm to stop any onset of rls and then take the full .125mg and 1mg of clonazapem about 1 hour before retiring and it seems to help.

I know that I have said that I do not up my meds if I have a bad bout which I do not but have taken tylenol and it has calmed them down but do not take it that often.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

KBear

Post by KBear »

HF- have you ever charted your RLS symptoms to see if there is a pattern? The reason I ask is because you mentioned that you just got your period. My symptoms are always the worst leading up to my period and for the first couple days of my cycle. After that I can go up to two weeks or more with no RLS then about mid cycle it starts up again.

If you haven't already you may want to have your iron and ferritin levels checked. This is done with a simple blood test. Be sure to ask for both iron and ferritin. Your iron levels could be normal but ferritin could still be low. Ferritin levels should be greater than 50 for people with RLS.

I started taking iron supplements last fall when I discoverd that both my iron and ferritin levels were low. A common problem for pre-menopausal women. I'm hoping that menopause will bring some relief but I'm not counting on it since many people find RLS gets worse as they get older.
Kathy