No more Restless Leg :) - No gluten cure!!

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Anonymous

No more Restless Leg :) - No gluten cure!!

Post by Anonymous »

I have had restless leg since I was quite young. Trips in the car have always led to incredible uncomfortable restless legs. Over all of our holiday travels I noticed I did not have one RL incident. Last month, I was diagnosed with CELIAC DISEASE and have removed all GLUTEN from my diet. You do not always have GI symptoms with celiac, I have learned. I hope maybe this will help others......

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

People with celiac are more prone to have nocturnal myonclonus, which is similar to PLMD and can be PLMW (while awake). It's great that you've gotten a diagnosis of CD (hope it didn't take too long) as many physicians are as clueless about CD as they are about RLS. It's also great that keeping GF has helped you. That's one of the nice things about RLS; lots of different things help different people. I've heard other people say that eliminating certain foods helps, especially sugar.

My DH has celiac (I don't) and we keep a GF house (for many years). He still occasionally has RLS and PLMs and I still have awful RLS (I sometimes do escape from him and then I do happily partake :wink: ). I've also tried being GF and sugar free at the same time, but it doesn't help me.

I'm sure you have the GF thing under control, but I'd be glad to share any info if you need it.

Welcome!
Ann