Non Pharmaceutical Therapies

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
ekalaka333

Non Pharmaceutical Therapies

Post by ekalaka333 »

I have had RLS for 20+ years and have tried practically everything. But, I am still looking for new ideas to make my life better and one way I've found to get some rest is so simple it's unbelievable. I lie on my stomach with a small pillow under my head and many pillows at my feet. The feet pillows are used for whatever makes my legs and feet feel good. Sometimes I elevate my feet from the knee to the feet; sometimes I snuggle them amongs the pillows; sometimes they are just reassurance. When I first began this though I always used them for elevation. I often go to sleep in this position and wake an hour later and am able to get into a more traditional sleeping mode, and my body is relaxed and not jerky anymore. I wish I could find something that would help for the other times when my body feels like thrashing around....Ekalaka333

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Ekalaka333 and welcome to this group. I am sorry that you have rls but glad that you have found us. It is a very supportive group.

Please go to the forum New to RLS and read the sticky post "Managing RLS" as there is an excellent article from the Mayo Clinic Algorithm. Another good site to read is www.rlshelp.org.

I can certainly relate to the way that you have to sometimes sleep to get relief. I would kneel and hope that the pain stops.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

I also host the chat room on Monday nights. We start at 7 pm arizona time. It would be either 8 or 9 pm your time. We would love to see you on Monday nights. Have a nice evening, and again welcome.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Hi Ex3, Welcome to the board. Glad the pillow trick works for you. I sometime get a bit of relief with the pillow thing but most nights...not. Anyway, glad you have something to help. Sounds like you have run the gamut of things so hope the pillows continue to work their magic. Best wishes.

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

becat

Post by becat »

HI EX3,

Wanted to offer my welcome as well.

and comment: I love pillows and blankets for the same thing.

I can't stand to have my knees touching. And bare skin, knee to knee, OMGosh, just can't do it.

The pillows save my sister in law as well. She has has a mini pillow (the same one) for over 30 years....

Welcome again.
Lynne

DrWass2

Post by DrWass2 »

I did the pillow thing a lot before I finally discovered the stocking thing.
Try it.