Walking on Concrete - bad

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
georger

Post by georger »

I want to know if walking on Concrete bothers other people. For example, on days when I need to do alot of errands and I go from one place to another, like grocery store, office max, etc etc and its all concrete parking lots and floors, my RLS goes nuts.

I actually have 3x the symptoms or more. I notice tenseness in my legs that nothing seems to alleviate.

This has led me to speculate that impacts to my leg muscles and spine must be a significant factor for me. I take Glutamine and small amount of Mirapex on a regular basis, but it's hard beat it when I am on concrete for a day.

I used to go to the beach and walk for long distances and I would actually not have RLS on those nights. So now I am ordering some negative heel shoes called Sandwalkers, there are several new shoe designs with a nearly rounded sole, so that you roll up and down while you walk, like on sand.

I am checking out this issue of spine impact as I go along, perhaps checking with a chiropractor that was mentioned on this discussion board too.

Sherry

cmoore1958

Post by cmoore1958 »

Sherry,

I find that walking on anything for a long time causes my rls to act up more pronounced when I relax. The pain and aching after the rls calms down is also worse. I think the key is moderation. Any activity we engage in that is over-done doesn't usually have good resulst for the rls sufferer.

I know that when I go to the mall I try to stop at the food court to rest after every venture down a leg of the mall. Sometimes this isn't possible so I limit my shopping to only going to the stores I need something from and cut the lookng around to a minimum.

I hope you are able to find your happy medium on how different tasks affect your rls. I know it was hard for me to deal with at first when I had to change from what I was so happily doing to what I could happily deal with.

If you're available, try to join us in the chat room at 8 pm central time Monday night.

Cyndi

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Cyndi I read your post and am happy that you joined us. What an asset you are to the board and so willing to lend an extra hand to someone. I love this board as this is what this is all about.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

cmoore1958

Post by cmoore1958 »

Charlene,
I enjoy being a part of the board as well. I feel I was led here for a purpose and who am I to question that. Addicted to the board may be a strong word, but it fits. :)
Cyndi

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Sherry, I can't say that walking on concrete bothers me, but I wear shoes with good arch support and lots of shock absorbing properties. I find that helps my knees and my back. I'm on of those who NEEDS to walk in the evening, shortly before bedtime because it helps me sleep better.

What's important is that you know that concrete floors are bad for you and your RLS. We're all different. :wink:
Susan

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

I can't speak specifically to walking on concrete, but...

Most of my life, my hips have on-and-off plagued me with aching pain. As a kid, it seemed to come as part of growing pains, and then in my teens and later in life, it would usually come after spending too much time standing or walking. A day at Disneyland once had me groaning involuntarily as I rolled over on the hard hotel mattress.

Now, as my RLS slowly progresses, I'm finding that the nights when my hips bother me are the same nights that my RLS sucks the most. In fact, the two seem to be sort of merging, hard to tell where one discomfort fades away and the other starts up. It's also interesting that, although my RLS is usually right-side-only, when my hips hurt, it's both sides from there on down.

Thus, I'm starting to wonder if whatever is wrong with my hips also aggravates or even creates RLS symptoms. Obviously, since my RLS goes up to my shoulder on the right, my hips can't be the sole problem, but I think maybe the steady flood of pain signals through my nervous system brings on a sort of RLS resonation, a sympathetic vibration.

So, maybe you're also putting enough strain on your hips and knees and legs that you're making some aches that exacerbate your own RLS, directly or indirectly.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

moonlight

Post by moonlight »

Sherry

Concrete floors or walking long distances cause me problems in my hips , pos cos of the arthritis, but I have to stop and sit to ease it eventually have to give up and go home.
On my journey home in the car I find my rls starts quite bad, it usually lasts into the evening and through the night.

huggles
moonlight :P
sleep is not only a dream

Ron

Post by Ron »

Our cities should not be putting down concrete as a pedestrian paving product. Asphalt and SofTrail are two products that perform better at less costs to install and maintain. Concrete has zero shock absorption and the human anatomy on each step absorbs all the returned energy through the feet, knees, hips, back, shoulders and neck.

On a zero to 10 scale for comfortable walking
concrete tested a zero at $10 per Sq. Ft.
Asphalt tested a 4.5 at $4.45 per Sq. Ft.
SofTrail tested a 7.5 at $4.5 per Sq. Ft.

Good shoes are important, but we need to change the pavement materials. Tell your cities pedestrians want better pavement.

Ron Bishop - Architect
RLS Coordinator East Bay, CA