Anyone tried hawthorne berries?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
alaska3356

Anyone tried hawthorne berries?

Post by alaska3356 »

I'm new here, but not to RLS. My mother in law sent me an article on someone who was positively affected by taking hawthorne berries (in a supplement) and it helped that person's RLS. I wondered if any of you have tried this.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I can't say I've heard of it. I didn't do a search, but that would most likely be in the non-pharma section. I could easily have forgotten if it's only been one or two posts, though.

I have been using tyrosine for about a month. Initially it worked great to keep me asleep - not necessarily helping RLS or PLMD. BUt, yesterday I awoke with RLS. Tonight, I was fine until 3 AM (have a party today and was preparing madly) when I took the tyrosine and went to bed. At 4:45 I was up with BOTH legs and one arm going madly with RLS (I usually only have one leg or the other). I'm still up at 7 AM...

So, no more tyrosine for me for awhile.

If you find out any thing else about hawthorn, let us know. Oh, and welcome to the board, though I wish you didn't need it.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

All I know about Hawthorne is that it's good for the heart. I've taken it when my heart has been racing and it slows it right down. Fortunately I haven't had that problem for a long, long time. It used to happen when I lay down.
Susan

alaska3356

Thanks, Ann and Susan

Post by alaska3356 »

I had heard that hawthorne was good for the heart.....so maybe I'll try taking it and see if it makes a difference in my RLS.

Thanks for responding.

drumin4him

Post by drumin4him »

Likewise, my mother showed me an article in the paper about Hawthorne Berries. I read the article on Sunday and on Monday my wife picked me up a bottle of the supplements in hopes that this would be the answer. Well after 4 days of the supplements my symptoms showed no signs of improvement. Although it has not helped my RLS I still take one everyday as it is good for your heart and circulation.

drumin4him