Going for it

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
SquirmingSusan

Going for it

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Last night I was up all night, busily and (mostly) happily working on setting up my new laptop computer. OK, I was swearing a lot in reality. But I didn't get to bed until about 11am.

Soooo.... This weekend I'm going to try to push the sleep schedule around. It's become pretty easy for me to push through the night and stay awake until noon or so. So tomorrow I'll try to make it until mid to late afternoon, and Sunday until early evening. Then Monday I'll have to make it through my son's choir concert...

Stay tuned for the ongoing saga of circadian rhythm disorder woman.
Susan

KBear

Post by KBear »

Good Luck and keep us posted on the results. I know a 20 something young man (son of a friend) who is dealing with reversed circadian rhythms, I told him to look for 3rd shift work because it's a hard thing to fix. It would be great if I could pass along a success story.
Last edited by KBear on Tue May 20, 2008 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kathy

Link to the Mayo Clinic Algorithm:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/pd ... 907Crc.pdf

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

That didn't work. :( Once I decided to go back to sleep during the evening, the parade started. First my son came to chatter. Then my dh. Then my son again. I had asked my daughter to guard my privacy, so at least she didn't come to visit constantly. I think I need to travel to Alaska in the middle of the summer without my family, and then my body would never really know what time it was by the changes in daylight. But then jet lag would get in the way of progress.

So sorry, no success story here. The only thing that really seems to help adjust my sleep schedule back to semi-normal is taking DAs, but I just haven't been able to get past the side effects or the fear of (re)augmentation.
Susan

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Yes Susan, the fear of augmentation is always there :twisted:
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

KBear

Post by KBear »

I can relate to the interruptions, our youngest is home from college for the summer. Sigh, the late hours, the vistors, TV running all night etc. I'm a light sleeper so every noise disturbs me. Double sigh. It's nice to have her around though so I won't complain too much.
Kathy

Link to the Mayo Clinic Algorithm:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/pd ... 907Crc.pdf

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

You know, I cherish every minute I have with my kids, especially as they get older and more ready to leave the nest. I just love it that they love to hang out with me. I'm too much of a softie to chase them away in the interest of sleep.
Susan

DrWass2

Post by DrWass2 »

yes..mine is totally controlled by the clock...almost never during the day.
Usually starts up about 7 or 8 oclock at night. sometimes so bad I just sit to watch tv....Real bad when it goes up to the groin.. anyway, will usually decrease about 4 am. I tend to stay up all night unless I happend to fall asleep on the couch trying to watch tv.....In bed I can never fall asleep........unless I put on the support stockings....then all is OK.