vitamin therapy

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
rpascal

vitamin therapy

Post by rpascal »

I have been using Methyl Cobalamin (processed vitamin B12) with success. My chiropractor told me about this. The product comes from Puritan's, manufacturer Source Naturals, 1 mg, sublingual, 2x a day. I have had no RLS symptoms in 6 weeks.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

So glad you found something that works for you.

I sure wish that worked for me. I can't remember why...oh yeah, someone else had luck - he called it the beer experiement - so I bought some. I still have the left over bottle of the B12 and take it sometimes just for fun.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I've heard of B12 helping RLS and am so glad it works for you! Sadly it doesn't work for me, but it's always great to have non-drug options to try.
Susan

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Low B12 can cause peripheral neuropathy, due to the sheaths on the nerves degrading. It could either be that you developed some peripheral neuropathy and it was aggravating your RLS, or perhaps you simply had peripheral neuropathy that was masquerading as RLS itself.

Either way, good news.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

georger

Post by georger »

Interesting,

Can you describe Peripheral Neuropathy - what is it?

Sherry

mackjergens

what is Peripheral Neuropathy

Post by mackjergens »

Here is a web site describing Perpheral Neuropathy.

I found it interesting as it mentions numbness and afew other things I have seen others mention in reference to their RLS.

http://aids.about.com/cs/conditions/a/neuropathy.htm

Lots of info about this on the web, well worth reading because I can see where peripheral Neuropathy could be confused as RLS.