Concrete Walking pain and MBT Shoes - great relief

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
georger

Concrete Walking pain and MBT Shoes - great relief

Post by georger »

I posted a previous subject of concrete walking increasing my RLS by a 2 to 3 times worse.

I found these shoes online - called MBT's that stands for Masai Barefoot Techology. I had noticed that my symptoms nearly stopped at a day at the beach walking only on sand.

Anyway these shoes are a totally new and unique design and they allow a toning effect to the leg, while at the same time the soles are unbelievable soft, stopping nearly all subtle shocks to the musclular shock and skeleton compression.

The shoes have allowed me to walk anywhere, nearly as much as I want. the shoes are expensive, so you need to really want to try this out. If you are good at searching the internet you can find some reduced prices here and there.

This experience has encouraged me to look at my RLS more precisely, and leads me to believe that I have an issue with my leg muscles/compression to spine and that dopamine may be a secondary feature. I also take Glutamine, which I talk about in another subject segment. :D

Sherry

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Thanks for posting you experiences with the shoes and with the glutamine. I was just thinking that it's about time for new walking shoes, so I might have to look into those. Good shoes are one thing I don't mind paying for, between having had killer plantar fasciitis and having the RLS. Oh, back and knee pain too.

Isn't glutamine related to glutamate, as in monosodium glutamate? Glutamate is an amino acid, as is tyrosine.
Susan

georger

Post by georger »

Yes, Glutamine is an amino acid. It is briefly described as rebuilding tissue, muscles, blood proteins and cell enzymes. Among other things like cerebral functioning and healthy digestive tract.

I am still amazed at the results I am getting from changing my shoes. I am lowering my dosage of Mirapex and will stay in touch over the next couple of months about this really outstanding breakthrough in my RLS.

I have had RLS chronically for a few years now and I am so excited to be learning that my leg muscles and how I use them can actually be the source of my problem.

Sherry :lol:

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I looked up the MBT shoes on line, and realized that I have a pair of knock-off sandals. The sole is shaped the same and they definitely make me feel off balance and walk strange. I've been trying to walk around on them lately, but I'm not having great results. If anything my back hurts more and my legs don't seem to like them much either.

I do have a pair of Dansko shoes that have a very rounded bottom so that I can rock back and forth in them. Those are heavenly for back pain, but they're expensive and dressy and I don't want to wear them out. Maybe I need a cheap and ugly pair of Danskos that's just as comfortable. Hmmm.
Susan

Ron

Walking on Concrete * Long term solutions

Post by Ron »

Our cities should not be putting down concrete as a pedestrian paving product. Asphalt and SofTrail are two products that perform better at less costs to install and maintain. Concrete has zero shock absorption and the human anatomy on each step absorbs all the returned energy through the feet, knees, hips, back, shoulders and neck.

On a zero to 10 scale for comfortable walking
concrete tested a zero at $10 per Sq. Ft.
Asphalt tested a 4.5 at $4.45 per Sq. Ft.
SofTrail tested a 7.5 at $4.5 per Sq. Ft.

Good shoes are important, but we need to change the pavement materials. Tell your cities pedestrians want better pavement.

Ron Bishop - Architect
RLS Coordinator East Bay, CA

D4

Post by D4 »

Thanks for suggesting these shoes. I read this post in early summer and then read lots of reviews on the shoes. I patiently waited until this month when I was in a city that had them and I instantly loved them. They didn't have my size in a style I wanted so I ordered them online when I got home. They are great for my posture, back pain, and plantar fasciitis. I've only had them a few days so I'm not sure if they help my RLS yet, but I know I love them for all the other benefits. They are very expensive, but I think they'll be worth it.

Thanks for your post about them. I'd never heard of these shoes before.

DrWass2

Post by DrWass2 »

I ordered and got a pair of MBT shoes, and tried them...but My back went out.....was it the shoes???? I don't know for sure.....haven't tried them again yet.....will have to tdo it....but back is not so good...so I will wait before trying shoes again........What works for me is the compression stockings........now 10pm and sitting watching tv and typing on laptop...
RLS is starting to act up......very uncomfortable....may have to tet stockings on soon...

D4

Post by D4 »

Sherry, you're my hero! I've been wearing my MBTs for 8 days and my plantar fasciitis is GONE!!! I stopped doing everything I was doing for plantar fasciitis (custom orthotics in my shoes and a night splint to bed) when I got my MBTs to give them a good test.

In less than 8 days, I have no foot pain whatsoever! It used to hurt just to rub lotion on my foot and now I can massage that foot and use lots of pressure.

So these shoes were super expensive, but if they save me the expense of all those other devices and the daily pain, they sure are worth it.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

D4, that is great news!

FYI for anyone who had plantar faciitis and can't afford these shoes, I was able to "cure" mine in a relatively short time, too.

I had it in left foot and tried all kinds of things. Nothing worked, it eventually cured itself in about 12-16 months. Then I got it in the right foot. Man, was I annoyed - I couldn't handle another year without working out and with pain no matter what I do. I don't own a car, so I rely on walking and riding my bike, both of which terribly hurt my feet.

I just happened to read an article that said stretching both cured and prevented PF (and better than any of the other "cures") - so I started stretching every morning and night. Within a month, it was much better. By the end of two months, I could do all my normal activities. I continue to stretch everyday so I can prevent a recurrence.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.