vibrating massage pads

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
edd666666

vibrating massage pads

Post by edd666666 »

Hi, I use vibrating massage pads generally sold for back pain to help with my RLS. I use them in two ways. When the RLS is really bad, I put it on my leg and it intensifies the muscle contractions and jerks that go with my RLS almost to the point of it being unbearable, but I go though this intense period and after about 30 min the RLS goes away and does not return all night. At other times I use the vibrating massage pad under my leg just as I am falling asleep and it seems to mask light RLS so I can go to sleep. I find that the really good quality massage pads are good for the intense RLS, but the cheaper ones work best on the mild symptoms. And of course your bedmates may or may not find the vibrating and noise enjoyable, as some models make a lot of noise in bed. OK, thanks and good luck, Ed.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Thanks for posting this, Ed. I have a vibrating (massaging?) heating pad that can really come in handy when my arms go crazy with RLS. For the legs, I'm a big fan of giant bags of rice which I heat in the microwave. In fact, my legs are so killing me today I'm on my way to "nuke" the rice bags.
Susan

nschirle

Post by nschirle »

I bought a stuffed animal that vibrates (designed for young children) off eBay. It really helps when my symptoms are mild. I use it before the meds "kick in". I was really going crazy last week, (while trying a new med out) & it didn't help much then, especially for my upper back & arms.