anyone try magnets?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
edd666666

anyone try magnets?

Post by edd666666 »

For awhile, magnet therapy was popular, with people saying they increase circulation in muscles, etc. Has anyone tried magnets on their legs for RLS? Thanks, Ed.

eliza

Post by eliza »

Hi Ed,

I think a few from this board have posted in the past about magnet mattresses or pads. I can't recall wether they had any relief from their RLS though.

I tried single magnets. When I tied one to the bottom of each foot I did get relief. When I tied one around my leg, just below the back of my knee, my RLS instantly went crazy and I couldn't rip it off fast enough. It was pretty interesting.

Since then my RLS has gotten much worse and I've moved away from non-pharm remedies to medication.

I hope you find relief.

Eliza

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Hi Ed

There used to be a magnet-filled underlay on the bed ... now there isn't.

When I was still living in one town and travelling to see my partner in another town each weekend, we couldn't figure out why my legs/brain always went ballistic as soon as I hit the bed.

It wasn't until he mentioned that his underlay was full of magnets that it "clicked" and I bounded out of bed in the middle of the night one night and ripped the bugga off.

Legs/brain certainly appreciated it! As did I coz I wasn't exhausted in the morning from "waggling" my legs all night.

I have heard that some people ARE able to tolerate the energy of the magnets, but the majority of us cannot. So, like everything for RLS, it's a case of trial and error.

Hope this helps.
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!