Sex to Help RLS

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Ron

Sex to Help RLS

Post by Ron »

I have found that a sexual climax is helpful when I am trying to get to sleep or get back to sleep. I believe it has something to do with endorphins, but it can be useful. Other sufferers of RLS also said that it has helped their symptoms.

I have had RLS about 15 years now.

Ron

snowbound

Post by snowbound »

I can attest to that. Many a night a little pleasure has rendered my RLS symptoms to next to nothing. :D

snowbound
A man generally has two reasons for doing a thing. One that sounds good, and a real one. ~ J. Pierpoint Morgan

happyfeet

Post by happyfeet »

Sorry. It neither helps nor hinders.

Does it make a difference, I wonder, if you are male or female?
Anything I write down is my own opinion and not to be taken seriously. Just ask my husband.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Over the years, many people have commented, and both men and women. It's not so much sex that helps as the orgasm itself - as Ron said, it's a nice release of brain chemicals that for many people completely resolves the RLS.

That said, there are those it does not help, happyfeet, like you...and the few like me and Aiken for whom it sometimes makes the RLS worse. Really really really sux to have the lovely pleasurable feeling immediately overtaken by the anxiety of the RLS :shock: I say sometimes because since the first time it made the RLS worse, I have never had sex when I have active RLS - I'm not going through that again. :cry:
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Doesn't help, forget about rls at the time, and symptoms as bad as ever within 10 minutes. :cry:
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

For me, it helps, at least temporarily. I can relax afterward and usually fall asleep (if at night) but will probably be awake again in a couple hours.

If it's in the daytime (a time which for me the RLS is usually minimal) I can get in a short restful nap.