Any luck with CALM?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
coffee4roni

Any luck with CALM?

Post by coffee4roni »

I bought a container of it last night and found no relief. If it has worked for anyone did it take time or did it work right away?. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has had any luck with it. I already take 6 Requip at night with no relief.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi coffee

I have never found any non prescription medications such as Calm to benefit me, but that's just me !!

6 Requip at night.... wow... that sounds a lot, what is your actual dose that you are taking at night i.e. how many mgs. ??
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

Welcome to the board. I haven't tried that particular one either but doubt it'll work or you'd see is splashed all over this board, sorry.

Do you go to a neurologist? Have you tried different dosages at different times of day, other meds like Mirapex, etc. Keep trying!

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Coffee and welcome to the group. I at one time bought some cream that said Calm. If that is the same one, it certainly did not work for me.

You said that you are on 6 requip - do you mean 6mg of requip (which is alot)? What symptoms do you have with rls? I have the painful rls and took requip about two years ago and did not agree with me. It made me nausea; however I did cut the pill in half (I know it is a weird shape pill but can be cut with a pill cutter) and it made the nausea go away but not the rls.

Please go to the forum New to RLS and read the sticky post "Managing RLS" as there is alot of good info there. Also there is an article by Mayo Clinic Algorithm. It is definitely well worth reading and if you can print it out and give one to your dr.

There are two good sites to read www.rlshelp.org and www.wemove.org

Have you ever had your ferritin level checked (iron deficiency)? When you go for blood work you have to request that as it is not included in the normal blood work.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

coffee4roni

Thank you for your kind responses

Post by coffee4roni »

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions. Yes, I have a neurologist who has put me on Mirapex with no success and now Requip with the same result. I only take 6 .25 mg a night plus 1 mg of Klonopin twice daily. I have also has my iron levels checked, they are very low. I am on iron suplements and need to have my blood drawn again to see if ly it has gotton any better. My father suffered from RLS and my Dr. says I probably inherited it from him.

I found this product CALM at Whole Foods, it's a magnesium supplement, figured it couldn't hurt to try it. I also take a good dose of multi-vitamins. I am going to try the CALM again tonight, if I have any success I will share it.

Thanks again for all your help.

Roni

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

coffee,
I copied/pasted this info for Requip from www.rlshelp.org I thought it might be helpful to you.

I have never taken any of the parkinson meds such as requip, so I have NO experience at all with them, but I think. Taking 6 .25mg tablets each night is wayyyyyyyyyy to much. Are you aware that if you take too much of the parkinson meds, they will cause augumentation and rebound. meaning your rls will become stronger and start happening earlier each day.

Again I am certainly not a Dr, but its sure sounds like way to much requip at once.

Requip (Ropinirole)
This is a new Parkinson's medication which is a more specific dopamine agonist similar to Mirapex (binds to the D2 and D3 receptors). Requip is available in 0.25 mg, 0.5 mg, 1 mg, 2 mg, 4 mg and 5 mg tablets. The starting dose should be 0.25 mg, which can be given if needed up to three times per day. The 0.25 mg dose can be increased by 0.25 mg each week for the first four week. Then the dose can be increased by 0.5 each week up to 3 mg three time per day (9 mg per day).

If necessary, the dose can then be increased by 1 mg per dose each week to a maximum of 8 mg three times per day (total of 24 mg per day), but doses greater than 6-9 mg per day rarely add additional benefit. RLS sufferers will generally need between .25 mg and 1.5 mg per day. Parkinson's disease patients generally need between 10-16 mg per day.

The antibiotic Cipro (ciprofloxin) increases the blood levels of Requip. Requip is metabolized in the liver so may be a better choice for dialysis patients.

Side effects with Requip include nausea (can be prevented by taking the medication with food), dizziness, and sleepiness (similar to Mirapex above, but usually at higher doses than most RLS patients tend to need.).

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi Coffee,

I assume that you mean 6 x .25 mg requip tablets nightly, which equals 1.5mg at night.

I use 2mg requip spread throughout the day, i.e. ( 4 x .5 mg) The .5mg can easily be cut in half, making .25mg. At night I use .5mg and occasionally another .25mg during the night. I try to use less than my prescribe 2mg over the 24 hours.

Actually my doc originally prescribed me 2mg nightly, but thanks to this site and the Mayo Algorithm, I have 'educated' him.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation