I am new and this is my first attempt at posting

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
vickierennie

I am new and this is my first attempt at posting

Post by vickierennie »

I am having problems navigating this site, and just need to ask if my husband's shaking of his leg while he is asleep is restless leg. It is constant and always happens after about fifteen seconds of stillness. He then shakes it five times, then it is still for fifteen seconds. This goes on all night. Once he is awake there is no shaking, and he does not know that this occurs. He does say that his legs "bother" him from time to time, but I can't really glean a great deal of feedback from him. Thank you so much for the opportunity to talk about this.
VERITAS VOS LIBERABIT
(the truth shall set you free)

Neco

Post by Neco »

If they bother him from time to time when he is awake, it could possibly be RLS, but that is also kind of vague.. I guess the real test is, if its not bothering him to the point where it keeps him awake or otherwise distracted and uncomfortable, you should consider the possibility and maybe educate yourselves a litte, but in general not worry about it until it truly becomes a problem. Then you'll know how to deal with it and what kind of doctor you'll want to go see..

As for his legs shaking in their sleep. It is likely Periodic Limb Movement Disorder. People who have RLS also tend to have PLMD. However neither condition leads to the other. If its not affecting his sleep too terribly and he isn't complaining of being tired, and it doesn't bother you, then you can also just let it go, but educate yourself and be aware incase it does become a problem.

And in any case you should report these symptoms to a doctor. If treatment is desired or necesarry, that will you'll get the help you need in any situation.

The forum is pretty straight forward.. The main page is http://bb.rls.org/index.php

That shows you an index of all the forum categories.. This is the Non-Pharmaceutical Therapies section, for people looking for possible remedies with over the counter supplements / natural plants & chemicals.

The category names are pretty straight forward though, so it shouldn't be hard to get around once you stop and read them for a second.