MSG

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
warnoldt

MSG

Post by warnoldt »

I am a new member and joined because I wanted to share the information about my experience with MSG. I have been a lifetime sufferer of RLS and a worldwide traveler in my occupation so it has been miserable on planes for up to 18 hours at a time with no where to get relief aside from walking the aisles. My wife wanted to try to find something to give me relief before there was anyone really recognizing that RLS was a real medical problem and she began eliminating things in my diet until she stopped everything with MSG and that stopped my RLS. I won't say it will work for anyone else, but if helps someone this posting is worth it.
W. Arnold Taylor

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

w, welcome and thanks for the post. glad it worked for you and hope others will be as fortunate. best wishes.

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

Momo

Post by Momo »

i feel dumb asking but.... what is MSG?
Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died.

snowbound

Post by snowbound »

Momo wrote:i feel dumb asking but.... what is MSG?

The only dumb question is the one you dont ask. :wink: :D

MSG,

http://www.healthbrands.com.au/topics/h ... is+msg.htm

Chinese food is(was) famous for MSG.

snowbound
A man generally has two reasons for doing a thing. One that sounds good, and a real one. ~ J. Pierpoint Morgan

Momo

Post by Momo »

oh!
so i've been eating alot of tomatos and cabbage from our garden lately. could this be why my rls has been so unbearable?
Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died.

necron99

Post by necron99 »

I have had a sneaking suspicion that MSG drives my legs crazy, but I have never done the elimination diet. I first noticed it after eating some rice crackers that had MSG on them as a snack before I went to brunch. By the time I went the restaurant my legs were completely out of control.

Could have just been coincidence, but who knows.
Ill get to this later

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

Arnold, what kind of things have MSG in them besides some chinese foods? Is it just an additive so to look for it on the ingredient labels or is it "hidden" in other things I wouldn't think to look for it?

Wish you many more sleepy nights! :)

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It's usually added to more processed foods; I rarely see it in organic, natural, foods. Because of DH's celiac, we're unable to buy many processed foods, we have gotten used to shopping the outside perimeter of the grocery store and I never see MSG in any of the foods we tend to buy.

Maybe powdered soups or boullions, some packaged meat snacks. It's a salty taste, so it's likely to be in things with that need flavor cheaply.

I imagine that how you tend to eat - either lots of prepared foods vs lots of food you prepare from individual ingredients - would influence how likely you'd be to see it in your foods.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

It is a naturally occurring amino acid, so there are likely foods that have a high content of MSG naturally. It might take a bit of research on the internet to figure out what foods.
Susan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

A couple of sources, found quickly with a search (not so quick to weed through the hyped sites that make you think you can die just by looking at it! just being facetious)

http://www.msgfacts.com/lookatfacts.html

http://www.ific.org/publications/brochures/msgbroch.cfm

Neither of these are exhaustive, but they give an idea of how common naturally occurring glutamates are (all beef, chicken, fish, many veggies, etc.)

Added a few minutes later
As to whether they are metabolized exactly the same....it all depends on which site you read :shock:

I certainly wouldn't have a clue, but I do have a friend who definitely reacted to Chinese food at one restaurant and not another. The difference was added MSG. She also did not have any reaction to pizza with added Parmesan. We'll never be sure if it was the MSG or not, but something in that food caused her to have a problem and it was really the only difference we could find. Much research says that glutamates and MSG are metabolized the same way, but if so, why don't foods high in glutamates occurring naturally invoke the same response in people like my friend?

This seems like many things with RLS...if it works for you, stick with it. If it doesn't, keep trying. If it stops working in the future, then hope you find something else that does. We'll likely never know why, one way or the other.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.