RLS while on vacation - NOT

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Dnes

RLS while on vacation - NOT

Post by Dnes »

Just returned from a one week vacation during which I had NO RLS. The first night home it came back, which leads me to believe that stress has something to do with it. I have had other periods of time while vacationing that have not had the RLS.

Now need to find a way to lead a stress free life as can't on vacation all of the time. I presently take an anti depressant and have for years, but there must be something else that can help me relax, but without putting me to sleep.

Has anyone else had similar experience and found an answer.

Thanks Donna

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Definitely could be part of it. Also you could have eliminated something - a food or habit maybe - that contributed to helping. Or added something, like regular walking.

Keeping a diary is really helpful for things like that.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

puppitypup

Post by puppitypup »

I am new to this forum, not new to RLS unfortunately. I share your experience regarding vacations. I haved noted for many years now that my RLS is significantly improved when we vacation. I have told my doctor that, but he doens't view it with the same significance that I do.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Can't say it makes any difference with me, vacation or not.

Glad and happy for those for whom it makes a difference.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

We actually stopped going on vacations years ago, before I had meds for rls. It was just to hard for me to walk around in a dark motel room while the others slept. I usually ended up sitting and moving my legs all night in the bathroom so as not to wake others in room. Nights like that do not make for a fun vacation. Everyone else well rested and ready to venture out and about the next morning, while I was so tired I didnt care to do anything.

The only thing that has helped my rls in over 30 yrs is meds. Without them I would still be walking the floor nightly and living on 2-4 hrs of sleep per night.