rls

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
I'm new here. . . but. .

rls

Post by I'm new here. . . but. . »

I’m new here, but not new to rsl. I’ve had it at least twenty years and it gets worse as the years go by.
melatonin helped for awhile, then didn’t.
emu oil helped, then didn’t.
Quinine does not help at all, nor did magnesium.
I exercise, daily.
have a low fat diet.
confess to drinking too much wine. (sulfates?)
(have tried staying off wine, did not help)
was once told that a warm leg soak for half an hour before bedtime followed by a rigorous drying would help, have yet to try it, we have a shower.
aspercreme? did not work for me. Ben Gay? too smelly, would lose my mate.
iron tablets? well, guys are suppose to avoid those.
knew a fine fine lady, Debra Kaplan, her entire body was invaded by this condition. she chose not to live with it, could not live with it.
leg stockings-have yet to try.
this is such a very serious condition, I can only hope that there are doctors working on it. God knows we are all getting quite desperate.
one very real possibility is for a bright young research doctor to get on this site and send all of us a questionaire that would determine what it is that we all share in our life styles, eating and drinking habit, etc., Should not be difficult and it would be a start. A simple multiple choice kind of form should produce something helpful.

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

A questionaire or survey is a great idea. Anyone know a doctor who might be interested? In the meantime, please go to a doctor and try some of the medicines that have helped others. I personally have not found anything over the counter, exercises, cremes, soaks, etc., that have helped me in the least. But there are things in those areas that give some people temporary relief. But for the most part, you need a doctor's care. Keep us posted on your journey.

pepe nero

rls

Post by pepe nero »

I started this thread, above.
I also tried staying off of salt. The first time it worked! Wondefully. I was rsl free day and night. I couldn't believe it. At last, I thought.
The something strange happened. I started near passing out on the street. A doc suggested that I monitor my blood pressure. Sure enough it was all over the place. Horrible highs, unbelieveable lows. I did a twenty four hour monitor with a special device that I wore night and day. A graph confirmed the highs and lows. I took it to my cardiologist. He looked at it, then me, and said, to my amazement, "Did you put yourself on a salt free diet?"
That, needless to say, was the end of that special diet.
Many years ago I went to a sleep research lab, complaining of a sleep disorder. They wired me up, pointed a video camera on me, and I tried to sleep, tossing, turning and jerking all night.
The next morning they said to be,"You have a sleep disorder."

DONNA

RLS

Post by DONNA »

I HAVE SUFFERED FOR 30 YEARS FROM RLS. I HAVE IT IN MY LEGS AND IN MY ARMS. SOMETIMES I FEEL IT IS UNBEARABLE TO LIVE WITH. I WAS HAVING IT ABOUT 5 NIGHTS A WEEK. I RECENTLY WENT ON A LOW CARB DIET THAT ALLOWED ME TO EAT SUGAR FREE JELLO. I BEGAN EATING THIS EVERY NIGHT AND MY RESTLESS LEG DISAPPEARED. I WANTED TO MAKE SURE IT WAS THE JELLO AND NOT THE LOW CARBS SO I STAYED ON THE DIET AND WENT OFF THE JELLO. THE RLS CAME BACK. I AM NOW EATING JELLO EVERY DAY AND MY RLS HAS BEEN CUT BY AT LEAST 95% AND ON THE OCCASIONS I DO HAVE IT IT IS NOT AS SEVERE. LIFE IS WONDERFUL AGAIN. I ALSO TRIED USING SUPPORT STOCKINGS A FEW YEARS AGO AND THEY DO WORK IN CUTTING DOWN THE SEVERITY OF THE RESTLESS LEG.

scoobymom97

Post by scoobymom97 »

i like the idea of the questionaire or survey :D im going back to my doc. to get meds for my legs ill update everyone bye holly