Apple Cider?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Eternityroad

Apple Cider?

Post by Eternityroad »

Has anyone had any success with apple cider vinegar and honey? If so, how big a dose? I may want to start trying alternative methods on nights I do not have to work the next morning and with diazapam on hand if things do not go well. I am doing well on the ropinerole but I if I can can kick this thing without having to use pharmaceuticals it would be great.

Thanx,

Ken

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Ken, I don't want to discourage you, but there is no alternative treatment that a majority of people respond to. It's truly a few to this and a few to that. Which means that either you're lucky on the first try or you just keep trying things.

I hope this works for you if you try it.

As as aside, I did this years ago for a diet...it didn't affect my RLS at all at that time, but I wasn't trying to, either.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Eternityroad

Post by Eternityroad »

Not discouraged at all. All in all, I could be happy just staying with the Ropinerole, but there seem to be a plethora of alternative treatments and in this time of rising medical costs, it seems worth a shot. BTW how did the apple cider vinegar work as a diet.

Thnx.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Well, I tried it in high school; it was a very specific diet, but allowed you a lot to eat, really. You had a small meal and then a snack two hours later, so you were eating every 3 hours or less. I liked eating 6 times a day!

But....(rant starts next :wink: )

At the time, I was 5'9" tall, very active and muscular, weighed 138 pounds and thought I was fat. I wore a size 9. Through the diet, I lost and soon wieghed 125 pounds...within a year, I weighed 160. Until then, I'd never had dieting problems. It was the start of a long reign of yo-yo dieting. After dieting my way to over 200 pounds, I gave up all diets. I truly believe that they are evil for most of us and that strong will isn't the problem...or solution. Changing our brain's chemistry is. After Mirapex changed my brain's chemistry even more, I gained another 50 pounds.

I still fight with myself on occasion and want to diet. But, without dieting, I've stabilized my weight. I don't gain any more. I hope, over time, to undo much of what I've done and get to a place of "thinner peace."

I've read many books that have helped me get to this place - Hirschman and Munter have written several GREAT books - such as When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies. The latest I've read is The Four Day Win. She is the closest of anyone I've read to really nail how to stop the wild ride of binging, hating yourself, trying to make yourself toe the line, etc. I don't know that anyone could completely internalize all of these books in one read and get to the point where their fight with food was over, but I imagine some have. It's taking me a bit longer, but I'm sure a lot happier accepting myself as I am than I was screaming at myself night and day about what a loser I was for not being able to control myself.

(OK, rant over).

All that said, the particular diet I tried was actually quite healthy and if one was to think a diet was the best way to lost weight, I'd recommend it. I just don't have a clue as to what it was called!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Momo

Post by Momo »

I tried the "apple cider vineger with mother' and i did not have any luck with it
Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died.