sugar is not always sweet ...

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
jojojojo

sugar is not always sweet ...

Post by jojojojo »

hey

I did an experiment earlier, and i noticed that if i cut as much sugar out of my diet as possible, the restless legs eases considerably.

I had a bit of a sugar fest yesterday, and worried that i would be 'dancing' all night, I had some cinnamon tea. (cherry and cinnamon). Cinnamon regulates the blood sugar, and I did NOT have restless legs AT ALL!!!!

I also have been having valerian tea as well before i go to sleep which helps.
Please sponsor my sister who is doing a zip wire for a hospice.

www.justgiving.com/sharon-cox-zippy

thanks

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

That's a good point you bring up. We all know sugar has an effect on RLS, but there's not much talk about controlling it beyond don't-eat-it-you-fool.

Diabetics have to manage their blood sugar very carefully; I bet there are little tricks we could learn from their trials and tribulations that might help with sugar's effects on RLS.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

mackjergens

RLS and sugar

Post by mackjergens »

I became a diabetic about a year ago. I have had RLS every night for most of my life. I do think that sugar makes rls worse, but I still have rls even tho I no longer have a diet full of sugar. just not for sure its plays that big in my rls. BUT it sure is worth getting alot of sugar out of your diets. Trust me you dont want to become diabetic!! NO FUN at all, having to watch every thing you eat.!!!

Helen518

Post by Helen518 »

How long after backing off sugar does one feel a difference in RLS?

Does anyone else have pain that eclipses the RLS temporarily?

Ugh. I am addicted to my morning muffin - pumkin, honey bran, carrot cake, peach granola . . . Anyway, I was told by one of my docs to cut down my sugar for reasons unrelated to RLS. About 5 days after I swtiched mostly to splenda, (except for my chewing gum) my rls backed off some during the day . . . (not at night). At the same time, I also had a bout of S.I. joint pain for about 3 days. Now, the Joint pain usually eclipses the RLS, and frankly - I prefer it.

Now, the joint pain abated on the same day that I allowed myself a muffin (halloween - you have to have some sugar, right?) Daytime RLS was low on Saturday but back on Sunday . .

Just curious if anyone has any feedback?

Helen

Scarlett46

Post by Scarlett46 »

Hello!
I've been doing the South Beach Diet (which cuts down on refined sugar and 'enriched' grains) for about a year and a half now. I've lost 35 pounds, and lowered my cholesterol numbers considerably (205 down to 160 for the total cholesterol).

However, I have not noticed a direct relation between the reduced sugar intake and my RLS symptoms. Actually, if anything, the RLS and daytime sleepiness have gotten worse in the recent past. I still really hate to think that the healthy eating and exercise could be the cause of such a terrible affliction! It's all supposed to make you feel good and healthy, right? I tend to think has more to do with the amount of stress in my life.
"After all... Tomorrow is another day!"

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Scarlett
I tried the South Beach Diet too and to no avail did it help with the rls. In fact, I have been having symptoms everynight for quite some time.

I do agree that stress can definitely trigger the rls big time.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

Helen518

Post by Helen518 »

I guess it is one of those things that varies from person to person . . . There is so much about this disease that is like that.

It is so HARD for me to stay away from sugar. I really want it. I knwo that the longer I stay off it the easier it is to stay off (I did Atkins once for 3 months), but once you start again, it is hard to stop. Especially because everyone says, "Oh, you can have just a little" or "you only live once!"

And even if you stay away from sugar, your RLS still might be in high gear due to some other reason (like stress) so it's really hard to tell if staying away from sugar has actually helped!

I totally blew it today. I ate a pumpkin muffin and quite a few ginger snaps. My legs are about to crawl creepily away all on their own (Actually, I wish they would--and leave me in peace!) Guess it's another walk for me . . . .

Hope everyone (if you're in US) is having a resonably easy time voting! I was lucky to be in and out by 8 am.