Vitex?? Any ideas??

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Randall

Vitex?? Any ideas??

Post by Randall »

I'm 39 and have had RLS for as long as I can remember. Some nights are better than others... however I'm getting really frustrated having found no real answers or relief. I have tried Mirapex, Ropinirole, and presciption pain meds - all with no real success. Most recently, I have tried Vitex and it seems to be the most effective - so far. Has anyone else had success with this or have any other ideas??

Since I take meds for ADD (Yes, I have the joy of getting to wake up at night from my legs and then not be able to go back to sleep b/c my mind is going at mach 3 and the legs get worse) I really would prefer to not have to add to the monthly precsription list. Any ideas??

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

R, Welcome to the board. Can't say that I remember anyone taking Vitex but glad it seems to be working for you. Sounds like you have been working your way through the Mayo Clinic Algorithm. Remember, just because what you take is not a "prescription" medication does not mean it does not come with it's own set of side effects or other hazards. So, be careful. I know there have been numerous post regarding other herbs, etc. I think if you look through previous thread in this forum you will find additional information.

If you like tell us a little bit more about yourself. Hopefully, you will get additional responses from those who have perhaps tried something more "exotic" than the requips and mirapexes! I know others with ADD are members of the forum so perhaps you will get some responses from them. What ADD meds are you taking?

Again, welcome and best wishes

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

Randall

RE:Post subject: Vitex?? Any ideas??

Post by Randall »

Thanks for the response. I did do some research, including interactions with my ADD meds (Concerta 54mg and Ritalin 10 mg) and there were no indicated conflicts. As for my history, I have always had sleep issues. Snoring, apnea, etc... I've had my tonsils and adnoids removed, deviated septum and turbinectomy surgery (which was unpleasant) and most recently advised to have to have an additional throat surgery (which my dr said was quite painful but I hate pain so that's a no-go). The result is poor sleep and constant waking (either by me or my wife) which seems to compound the RLS. The more often I wake up, the more intense the discomfort and the more difficult it is to get back to sleep (I'd really like to get 4 hours of continous sleep). As a matter of fact, the RLS has been so bad recently, that my legs are literally sore during the day.

Basically, I guess I'm just complaining b/c I really don't think that there is anything that can be done and just wanted to find out if I am some sort of "medical anomaly" or if my situation is relativley normal - all things considered.

ViewsAskew

Re: RE:Post subject: Vitex?? Any ideas??

Post by ViewsAskew »

Randall wrote:

Basically, I guess I'm just complaining b/c I really don't think that there is anything that can be done and just wanted to find out if I am some sort of "medical anomaly" or if my situation is relativley normal - all things considered.

I so hate to do this...but welcome to the club, Randall. You are completely normal within our club. And I wish you weren't here and I wish none of the rest of us was here...and normal for this club.

Unfortunately, this isn't abnormal at all. It may be a bit more to handle than some of our clubmembers have, but it's not an anomaly. And, that just isn't fair.

There are hundreds of non-pharm things people do, but it's a bit hit or miss. You just have to keep trying to get the things that work for you.

One of the best things, though, is Jill Gunzel's book - the RLS Rebel. While she doesn't have any magical pills or potions to get 4 hours uninterrupted sleep, she she has some great techniques for preventing the RLS to get the best of you.

I hope you have a great doc. That is often something that helps the most - even if they can't make it all better, that they are there, listening, helping, reading new ideas.

I hope you find some of what you need here. Start reading, it's probably the best thing you can do.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

happy legs

Post by happy legs »

RANDALL MY HEART GOES OUT TO YOU, I WISH THERE WAS A MAGIC WAND I COULD WAVE.
I HAD SIDE EFFECTS FROM THE DRUGS THEY HAD PRESCRIBED FOR ME, PLUS JUST A NEGITIVE DOCTOR. WONDER WHICH IS WORSE :(
I POSTED EARLIER REGARDING A PRODUCT I HAVE BEEN USING. WHILE I AM NOT TRYING TO ADVERTISE FOR THEM, IT REALLY HAS HELPED ME A BUNCH.
HAPPY LEGS.