The Water Fix

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
adria5

The Water Fix

Post by adria5 »

I am 46 and have been suffering from RLS for at least 29 years. These days, I get RLS mainly while lying in bed trying to get to sleep. The following technique almost always puts an end to my "RLSed bed legs" on the spot and I have been using it for the past 11 years. It has empowered me with wonderful control over this insidious syndrome and has allowed me to get a good nights rest!

The Water Fix:

1. Take a relaxing hot shower making sure to spray hot water over the entirety of both legs, from upper thighs to feet.

2. At the very end of the shower, switch the water temperature to cold and spray both legs from the knee down to the feet. Take at least 10 seconds to cover the shins, calves, area behind the knees and the top and bottom of feet. Do not spray cold water above the knees.

3. Towel-dry off legs with an upward motion from the feet up.

4. Enjoy RLS-free legs and get a good night's sleep!

This technique may have the effect of pumping stagnant blood upwards similar to the hot/cold footbaths taken after a sauna. People with painful legs due to vein disorders may also find relief. In any case, it has the effect of "resetting" my legs back to a tranquil state

The Water Fix has changed my life. I hope that it works for you too!
Last edited by adria5 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Do you know if you are the one who originally wrote about it? I either saw it on this site or another one about 4 or 5 years ago.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me - it's the cold thing that sets off the RLS and makes it start...but, I am sure glad it works for you and hopefully for others.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Yup Ann, you saw it here first ... back in 2004 ... Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:24 am under the title The Water Cure

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Adria,

Glad you've found relief and hope it continues for you; and anyone else who's found this helpful. Unfortunately, like Ann, this technique doesn't quite do it for me.

Take care
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Thanks Adria

I used to use icy cold water, which gave me about 20 minutes relief, but that wasn't always enough time to get over to sleep. That was before medications were prescribed.

Glad it works for you
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

adria5

Post by adria5 »

I am the one who posted the same technique in December 2004. Still works like a charm for me when beset by RLS in bed.

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

I have always been able to take a hot hot bath soaking my legs and was able to get to sleep, staying asleep was the problem, that lasted for a very short time and my legs always have woked me up from a dead sleep due to major RLS. I am pretty sure that in the 35 plus yrs of dealing with rls, I have tried just about all things to stop my rls..

Only 2 things have ever worked for me. Walking all night or keeping my legs moving like rocking in a rocking chair (only if rls is mild that night) or taking meds. I think I will just continue to take my med nightly. I am totally done with trying things that might help.

Having a major RLS attack reallllly drives me nuts and I mean it actually affects my mental. So if I ever feel an attack coming, I head straight to the pain pills. Works every time, so far for the last 8 yrs!!! I can only hope it will continue!

I am always a tad jealous when I read that taking a hot/cold shower or etc. takes care of someones RLS, I just wish it were that simple for me! But I think there are different levels of rls and mine must be terribly strong!

I walked the floor for 25 yrs nightly living on 2-4 hrs of sleep and during those nights there is very little I didnt try! with no luck!

I am so happy for you that the hot/cold shower works so well for you!!!! you are really one very lucky person!!!

mistermaurice

Post by mistermaurice »

that saounds like it may be worth trying.thanks

woodsie357

Post by woodsie357 »

I love #1 it works for me while doing it. #2 scares the crap out of me, would send off sensory issue problems. #3 sounds good, and I'm totally up for #4.

Thanks for posting, trial and error trial and error.

Most of the sleep I've gotten in the last 5 years was in the bathtub.
Someone cares about your sleepless nights