Anyone heard from mikepsyche lately?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
malindse

Anyone heard from mikepsyche lately?

Post by malindse »

A friend at work found some information on Creatine that had helped some older body builders that were diagnosed with Parkinsons. I did a search on Creatine in our forum and found some interesting (and funny) information from mikepsyche. However this was back in 2006. I was wondering if anyone had heard anything new from him or about the use of Creatine. :?:
Meg

My school teachers were right! I couldn't sit still then and I still can't.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

No me...

It's funny, though, because I recently came across some info on NADH that seemed promising and I was wondering about one of our members who had looked into that...

Interesting that we both found stuff that made us think of other people and therapies that we learned about here.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

malindse

Post by malindse »

After I searched the board for the Creatine I spent quite a long time reading his long medical self test and found it had a lot and good information and had to laugh at a section he suggested not to read if you were sensitive. I have to admit I've had nights when I felt half crazy but I don't think I would have tried what he did. It amazes me what we all go through and the lenghts we will go to for some comfort. I don't know about you but I have it 24/7. I didn't until after I tried Requip but it's gotten steadily worse since then.

At this time I'm working with a doctor of pharamacology and taking both gabapetin and hydrocodone. Unfortunately the gabapetin only dulls things slightly. She tried me on really high doses 3 times a day and I couldn't function. At this time the hydrocodone lasts for about 1.5 to 2 hrs at most and I get 5 a day so I end up at the end of the month right back in pain 24hrs. and up all night. I think I'm going to have to ask about something that is a longer lasting drug. I sure hope she's receptive to the idea. You know how they make you feel when asking about controlled substances. Reading everything I have so far for the last 2 years it seems to be the only thing that works well with no side affects (other than building a tollerance).

So what is NADH. I haven't had a chance to look it up. I know I'm always on the look out for something to help. I really feel for the younger people I've read on here. Mine didn't start severly until late 40's. I just can't imagine an entire lifetime like this.

If anyone else has any other new information, please send out the word.

I hope everyone has the opportunity for a good nights sleep. I know I really appreciated each and every one I get. This is a good representation of how I'm feeling tonight. :twisted:
Meg

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I didn't have mine 24/7 until Mirapex...it doesn't happen to many of us, and they say it can't happen. I'm just glad it happens rarely like that.

I wish I could think of her screen name, but I can't, darnit, but she tried two things that are supposed to increase the dopamine in the brain.

The first one was L-tyrosine. Another guy wrote about it, too. It helped his wife tremendously. I tried it and it DID work for me. Not enough to eliminate my other meds, but enough to reduce them. And, I got great sleep. But, within a few weeks, I actually experienced symptoms just like augmentation. I had to stop it. I tried it again a month later...same thing.

So, for me, that was out. It did increase my dopamine, though. And it did help the RLS. Too bad that it also did exactly what Mirapex did in terms of augmentation.

NADH is also thought to increase dopamine. I'm not sure if I'm a glutton for punishment, but I thought it might work a bit differently and that it could reduce the meds I take.

But, it says not to take it at night because it can give you energy. So, I've been taking it for three or four days, but in the morning. I figure energy is a good thing, since I have so little of it.

I didn't take it today and I definitely did not feel as good all day as I did the previous three days. But, that could be anything. As far as the RLS, I didn't have any during the day, but I rarely have it so badly it interferes with me anyway. It's usually easy to get under control with some walking around or by paying attention to something.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

malindse

Post by malindse »

Isn't it amazing how they say it can't happen. As usual I thought it was just me since the doctor was amazed with the reaction I had to requip. I'm also glad it doesn't happen often. It just s*&^% that it happens to any of us. Going from bad to worse can really put a damper on your emotions.

I did a search and there were a number of postings for the L-tyrosine, just haven't had a chance to read them all yet. I'll check the NADH out too. Probably later tonight!! It would be great to find something that could at least help you lower the other meds. Even if it's just for awhile.

I agree with you that anything that can boost your energy would might be worth it. I may check it out specially right now since I'm going through a really bad spell. Thanks for all the input.
:twisted:
Meg

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

This morning I woke up about 2 hours before I planned to get up, so I took the NaDH at that time, hoping it would help me to wake up more easily and want to get out of bed.

Nope.

I still struggled, but when I did get up, I do think I got going more quickly AND I didn't have as many mental struggles as I usually do. So, I'm tentatively impressed and very hopeful.

It is terribly expensive, however. (well, I guess that's based on your income and perspective...to me it's high)

Managing Your RLS

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

I have ordered the stuff, we'll see...
Corrie

malindse

Post by malindse »

What did you order? I was just looking it up and it looks like it comes in powder form and different 5, 10 20mn tabs. I may just have to give it a try too. Anything that helps!
Meg

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I was buying some natural toothpaste (no sodium lauryl sulfate which bothers me) and saw that the place had NaDH on sale. I bought whatever was on sale, lol.

It was Natrol brand and 20 mg in tablets. I have NO idea if this is considered a good brand or not.

Last night was my Mirapex night. I take it twice a week to try and reduce the opioids a bit and get a good nights sleep. I feel awful this morning. I awakened constantly this morning, unable to sleep for more than ten or fifteen minutes at a time. It may be that taking the NaDH and the Mirapex is too much dopamine in my system.

Managing Your RLS

malindse

Post by malindse »

That's interesting that you take Mirapex twice a week. I know I can't take Requip/Mirapex but I wonder if that would work with something like the carbadopa/levadopa (did I spell that right?) Might be worth a try too. The only problem is that I have pain 24/7. And what I have now is barly enongh to take the edge off much less make it go away. Even still if I could cut out a little occassionally that might be a great idea. Thanks!
Meg

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I have some NADH around here. I tried it and it didn't help me with energy. But I still have most of the package, so I may try it again. It was expensive.
Susan

malindse

Post by malindse »

So I've tried the Creatine for several days. Might take the edge off slightly during the day. Only problem is that I'm drinking more water, going to the bathroom lots more and my hands and lips are all dry. Not so sure there are enough benefits to outway the negatives. I'll give it a few more days before I decide. Might as well try some of the NaDH as well. :roll:
Meg

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

What do y'all think about this new research?

D-Ribose Benefits Restless Legs Syndrome.Shecterle L, Kasubick R, Cyr JS.
Jacqmar, Inc., Minneapolis, MN.

Abstract Restless legs syndrome is a neurological disorder characterized by unpleasant sensations and pain, predominantly in the lower extremities while at rest, accompanied by an uncontrollable urge for movement for relief. We report on two affected male individuals, a father and son, ages 71 and 47, from a family in which three generations carry the diagnosis. To evaluate any potential benefit of D-ribose in this condition, each individual orally consumed 5-g doses of D-ribose daily at different trial stages. Each stage lasted 3 weeks with a 2-week washout period between stages. The initial stage involved a single 5 gm dose of D-ribose consumed at breakfast. Throughout the second stage, D-ribose was taken at breakfast and lunch. In the third stage, D-ribose was taken at all meals, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Diaries by the subjects pertaining to their documentation and severity of restless legs syndrome symptoms was compiled. During the initial stage both men reported a general feeling of more energy and less fatigue, most notably after exercise, without any significant changes in their symptoms. With the increase in the daily dose of D-ribose, in the second stage, their leg twitching and the feeling to move during the day was reduced for 1 subject, and rarely present in the other. Both still experienced the unpleasant sensations during the night. However, during the final stage, a further increase in the daily dose of D-ribose eliminated their daily symptoms and the symptoms at night were of a lesser degree and had a later occurrence. Both men reported that D-ribose did not totally eliminate their discomfort, but the severity and onset of symptoms affecting their quality of life was substantially improved with D-ribose without any adverse reactions

Corrie

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

That seems like such a tiny study. OTOH, I Googled "d-ribose" and came up with all sorts of sites promoting it for fibro, chronic fatigue, etc. I was concerned because it's a sugar, and I have problems with sugar metabolism (hypoglycemia) because of my gastric bypass and wondered if it causes adverse reactions like that. Apparently it causes some mild, transient, asymptomatic hypoglycemia.

Heck, it's not that expensive and may help with fatigue. It's sugar, so it can't be that hard to ingest. :wink: Dr. Teitelbaum, the chronic fatigue guy, recommends it as well. I already take his "Fatigued to Fantastic" energy drink and vitamins, when I can stomach them, and they seem to help. Problem is that I get too fatigued to go and mix up the drink. So lately I've put my son in charge of mixing it up for me every day. He likes to take it too. He says it helps him when he has football practice.
Susan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It is indeed small, but you have to start somewhere! I'd hope they'd do it with a larger cohort (group) next time.

As Susan said, if you knew the amounts they took, it would be worth trying yourself.

Managing Your RLS