other places then legs....arms...groin ???? anyone

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
DrWass2

other places then legs....arms...groin ???? anyone

Post by DrWass2 »

I mostly get my RLS ( the creepy crawling kind) in the legs...sometimes ankle then calf and then progresses up to thighs. Of course the need to move is incredible. The compression stockings work great for me. The problem is sometimes it is not the legs... Lately it is up into my groin. They only way to move is to keep going to the bathroom and try to pee.
That is the kind of feeling and again...can't sit or stay still. rarely I would get it in the arms. HAs enyone else found solution for this...
I'm working on something that I think works....

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

A lot of us get it in the arms. Counter or wall "push ups" can help with that. Also massage and heat. I have a massaging heating pad that can help. Sometimes I get it in the torso, and there isn't much to do about that.
Susan

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

I also get it in both arms, which, when both legs are goin at the same time, is just gosh-darn horrid.

All i say to everyone in the house is "stay outta my road for a while and i'll let you know when i'm not likely to sock you one in the head."

I find that i'm a lot more distressed when it's in my arms as well. Legs, yeah, ok, can usually get it back under control, but when arms join in it's like my brain has called for all out war on me.
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I am extremely agitated when it's in my arms...

Not sure if it's the idea of it progressing or being out of control or not being able to move them in a way that walking helps the legs...or all of the above.

Or maybe brain chemistry is more "off" than normal when it's in hyperdrive.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

Yes, you're right: the arms are the worst, because you can't walk it off. They just go on when you are walking. They have a mind of their own. It's so irritating. I so often have it in the arms and not in the legs. It seems as if the legs are covered by the meds, but not the arms.
Corrie

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

I get it in my upper arm and, most of all, in my right shoulder, deep deep inside, in front of the shoulderblade. Drives me insane, because I can't move it very far, and moving doesn't help much anyway.

I've had it in my groin on rare occasions, and like you, all I can do is go (try to) pee repeatedly. I'm glad it doesn't happen often.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Just thought of something else ...

Yes, the arms are horrid to deal with ... if we were chimps, we'd be fine coz we wud be able to walk on all fours ... nuff said.

Had a mega-major attack whilst at a 2 hour meeting (that i COULDN'T get out of) on Monday afternoon and it wasn't just my legs, it was going up into my hips and the joints where the hips join the legs, kinda the bottom of the buttoks area ... really annoying area coz there's not really a good stretch for it lol.

I managed to keep myself fairly unobtrusive by standing at the back of the room doing various stretches and bouncing up and down on the balls of my feet, but of course, that caught the attention of one of the people leading the meeting who just had to come down and find out what was wrong. She assumed "bad back" HA! I wish! Luckily Troy was with me so I had some moral support.

So, yeah, arms, hips and around my butt (it's just hard to describe!)
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

Neco

Post by Neco »

Draw a Y on my back and front torso and that is my affected zone, as well as the arms, left more than right. Of course my legs too, about equal.

HeatherB

Post by HeatherB »

When I have symptoms in my legs the feeling always, always starts in the groin and works down to my feet.