Music soothes the savage soul (legs)

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
jimd544

Music soothes the savage soul (legs)

Post by jimd544 »

I used to get up when my legs were twitching and go practice piano. (I'm learning) I found that when my mind was focused on trying to play piano my legs would stop twitching.

About a month ago I started listening to relaxing piano music whenever I was in bed and my legs would start. I have an iPod and wear headphones so it doesn't bother my wife. I found that by concentrating on the music (and for me - trying to figure out how to play it) my legs would stop wanting to move and I could fall asleep. Here's a couple examples of the Artists / Albums I listen to: Karen Marie Garrett - It's About the Rose. Fariborz Lachini - Golden Autum 1.

I think the bottom line is my mind is focused on something other than my legs. I'm completely off the 1mg of Requip I was taking every night. I do take 400 - 600 mg of Ibuprofen sometimes when the twitching starts. That seems to help as well but the music definitely makes a difference.

I think RLS is also directly related to stress but that's another story. Hope this helps! -Jim

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yep, Jim, you've found one of the cardinal rules regarding RLS: get they mind elsewhere.

The docs have a fancy word - attending. When you are paying attention to other things, the RLS melts away in many situations. It's great...except when it's 5 AM and you really just want to sleep!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I'm glad that works for you! I bring my ipod to the dentist, and it helps me avoid the yucky novocaine injection. Jill Gunzel, "the RLS rebel" recommends concentrating on music to relieve RLS at bedtime. She has lots of ideas how to take your mind off the RLS by focusing on other things. She has a website that you can find by Googling...
Susan