Walkstation

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Helen518

Walkstation

Post by Helen518 »

Has anyone seen this? I am dying for one, but it is $5,000.

http://www.steelcase.com/na/walkstation ... px?f=30670

THere was a story on NPR. It is supposed to be very quiet. You walk 1-2 mph. I'm stretching my limit taking 4 walk breaks a day from my desk job . . .

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I've heard of those, but haven't actually seen one. It seems like you could make your own for much less cash. It's a good idea, and not just for those of us with RLS. Sitting all day just isn't that healthy for anyone.

I'm betting that thing could qualify as an ADA accommodation.
Susan

woodsie357

Post by woodsie357 »

I would love one of those. 5000$ is out of my price range but man that's nice!
Someone cares about your sleepless nights

Helen518

Post by Helen518 »

Yes, I thought that if my doc could write me a letter saying that it was medically necessary that the office would let me have it. Though, they probably would have difficulty paying for it.

I think you could not prove it was medically necessary for the workplace unless you could prove that you had exhausted your pharmaceutical options . . .

I guess you could make your own, but this one is designed to be super quiet-most treadmills are pretty noisy.

I heard they are going to make one with an exercise bike attached instead of a treadmill, too.

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

I know this will sound very strange, but walking on a treadmill always makes my rls worse. Walking around the house always helps my rls, so I bought a treadmill several yrs ago, and each time I use it, my rls kicked in so much worse. Could just be me, but as we all know each person is so different.

But before you invest in a 5000.00 machine, I would go try just a reg, treadmill just to make sure, you are not like me

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hmmm... hubby bought a treadmill yesterday.

I used it last night for only 15 minutes and this afternoon for 17 minutes.

I had some symptoms last night for a short while and at the moment can feel them bubbling in the background. But this would not be uncommon. So I shall have to keep an eye on this with regard to the treadmill.

Fortunately it cost £400 sterling. Nothing like 5000 dollars.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Another option might be one of those tiny pseudo-stairclimber things you can get. It's basically two pedals and shifting your weight from one to the other resets the one you had your weight on, forcing you then to shift back and push it down. It's a little like walking and a little like climbing. Might be enough motion to do the trick, if your office can supply you with a standing workstation (most cube desks can be raised, for instance).

Here's one example, picked randomly from google:

http://www.bigfitness.com/stinelmist.html

I have no idea what they're like, mind you, or if that or any of them are any good. I also don't know how noisy they are for your neighbors.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Another variation on the theme is to sit on an exercise ball. My dh sits on one at work instead of the office chair, and we often sit on them around the house when we have to sit for a while. We can use our legs to bounce a bit, which keeps the legs happier, and also helps our ailing backs. It's quiet too.

I remember reading on this forum about these little pillows that you put under your feet with 2 air chambers - you push the air from one chamber to the other. It's kind of like a stair climbing thing. I bought a couple of them and they're inexpensive. I believe there are a couple brands of them around, the one I have is called and Aero Gym or something like that. They're handy for when you're stuck on an airplane, but otherwise they seem a bit noisy.
Susan

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Heck, you could even get an old exercise bike and turn the resistance to nil. :) Cycling uses nearly every muscle in the legs; it's almost as good as walking.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Hey, a recumbent exercise bike would be great! Just find a way to pull it up to a table. Now I think I could actually sit on one of those and get work done. I don't think I could do the treadmill thing all day long...

Helen, you just stick with us here, we'll get you all fixed up. :wink:
Susan

woodsie357

Post by woodsie357 »

I knew of a guy that played online games like World of Warcraft or Everquest that strapped his keyboard onto a stationary bike and lost something like 100lbs. Every time he played he biked. I thought that was pretty cool, and he was able to rig it up himself.
Someone cares about your sleepless nights

Helen518

Post by Helen518 »

These are all great ideas. I Originally wanted a good stairclimber for home, I was willing to pay the $900 for a good one. The cheaper ones tend not to last, from what we've read. I'd like to try one of the little ones Aiken mentions, but I haven't come accross one yet. Maybe when I'm garage sale-ing this spring.

I have found that the exercise has to be weight bearing. I tried an exercise bike when I was pregnant before and it did not work for me. Even treadmills are not as effective as actually walking on pavement, preferably in cork soles like birkenstocks, or barefeet, or other shoes that let me feel the hard pavement.