what helps RLS in arms?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Helen518

what helps RLS in arms?

Post by Helen518 »

I wonder if I'm having RLS creepy crawlies in my right arm today. I've had twitching and jerking in my arms before but never the creepy crawlies. I've had tingling since sunday, but it was more like nerve problem - like carpal tunnel syndrome or cubital tunnel syndrome.

What works to help the creepy crawlies in the arm? For my legs, I walk (at least 15 minutes) or stretch, but the stretching is not helping my arms. Shoudl I do push ups for 15 minutes?

I am already on 25 mg methadone per day for my 24-7 RLS.

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Mine's in my upper arm and shoulder. Sometimes I just do slow shoulder circles (basically round shrugs) while I wait for the meds to kick in. My bicep's a little harder to distract, but lifting wrist to shoulder and back down again sort of works. I've never found anything that works for my armpit other than rubbing it, and sometimes the shrugs actually make it more annoying.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

When in my arms, mine is in the hands and lower arms, mostly. I shake them and try to do finger movements. It doesn't help completely...

It's the one thing that sends me into massive RLS anxiety immediately - like I'm on the ledge...
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

DrWass2

rls in arms

Post by DrWass2 »

I'm the guy who keep recommending compression stockings for rls in the legs...It seems to work for me and many people with the creepy crawly feeling. . I rarely get it in the arms but when I do, I have tried a compression arm band...generally called an arm gauntlet......It seems to work...at least for me......It goes from the shoulder to the wrist. ... You can try to use an ace bandage for starters....may need someone else to put it on.

just a thought.

gymper

Post by gymper »

I do 25 pushups.

Neco

Post by Neco »

Sorry you are still having these troubles Helen.. Is it just the arms bugging you now? Hopefully it isn't too bad.. Have you received any further increases or changed your dosing since your last update?