Support or Compression Stockings (try it, you may like it)

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
DrWass2

Support or Compression Stockings (try it, you may like it)

Post by DrWass2 »

I really don't get it. This section is titles "Non Pharmaceutical Therapies" yet most people continue to talk about drugs that don't work and beg for help. I know everyone calls me the "stocking guy" but it just seems to work for a LOT of people and it is not a drug, try it ( you might like it). Reminds me of the "Green Egs and Ham" story by Dr. Suess.
A lot of readrs say "thanks but it won't work on me because xxxx...." but I have seen very few people actualy say they tried it and it didn't work! The ones who really tried it seem to indicate it does work, and they usually tried just normal department store support stockings or pantyhose.
I sure would love to see a scientific study of this rather then the ancedotal reports, but in any case, from what I can gather from this site, MOST who actually tried it (and that includes males) say it works.
I think this deserves a promiment place in the "Non Pharmacetical" Treatment section.
I was hoping that this website would be able to get enough people to actually try it for real and report back so we would have some data in the form of a pseudo scientific test.
Well, i've given my two cents to try to help.
To those who have tried it and reported back to this site, I thank you.
I realize the we each seem to have our own slightly differing form of RLS.
Lets keep the replies to this thread to those who have tried support or compression stockings or pantyhose. I offer my help to anyone who needs it. Good Luck

mackjergens

Support hose and rls

Post by mackjergens »

I actually tried the support hose and the ones they put on your when you have surgery long white stretch leggings.. also the hospital will put on those leg things after surgery that pump up, to help stop blood clots, well I cant stand those on my legs!
All 3 things support hose, stockings after surgery and the pump up ones and they all drove my rls nuts!!

I honestly can say that the 30 yrs I had rls without any help, I tried anything and all things, even to the point of trying to figure out how to tie myself in a corner standing up so I could sleep. Never figured that one out, I just know that after dealing with rls for all these yrs, that the only thing that controls my creepy crawlies is prescription pain meds and I will continue to take them forever!!!

woodsie357

Post by woodsie357 »

I had no luck with the socks, sure hope it works for others though
Someone cares about your sleepless nights

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I've posted before that it doesn't work for me, either.

I get your pain, DrWass2 - it's hard when you have something that's surefire and you feel others don't believe, won't try it, are against it, or whatever. Nothing works for everyone and not everyone will try every non-pharm method before resorting to drugs. You come back periodically and remind newcomers that this works for you. That's a good thing. The people who are able to will benefit from that.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.