ebooks any good?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
tiredjulie

ebooks any good?

Post by tiredjulie »

Has anyone bought one of the ebooks available online that claim they can cure rls by treating the root cause? Of course you have to buy the book to find out what the root cause is. I'm desperate enough to give it a shot, but I thought I'd see if anyone had tried this already.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Please don't waste your money. There are no easy fixes for RLS, and those who write those ebooks don't have any secret knowledge that the medical community doesn't have. Some of them say to not eat salt, some to not eat sugar, and I can't remember what all else is supposed to "cure" your RLS.

You can visit the "New to RLS" section of the message board for a ton of FREE information that will help you much more than any ebook written by a wannabee medical researcher with no real medical knowledge.
Susan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

They sure sound tempting, don't they? All those promises...

They just want your money.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

bbengtsson

ebooks

Post by bbengtsson »

I bought one of the ebook cures.
The cure was to totally eliminate salt from your diet.
Salt is necessary for proper health. I didn't see anyway to totally eliminate it with out quitting my job, leaving my family and moving into the mountains to live with the bears.
BDB

tiredjulie

Post by tiredjulie »

Thanks all. I eventually found a discussion about these books under a different topic and everyone said the same thing...don't waste your money. Just goes to show you how desperate we can get.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

tiredjulie wrote: Just goes to show you how desperate we can get.

Isn't that the truth?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

tiredjulie wrote:Just goes to show you how desperate we can get.

Desperation is what snake oil merchants rely on. And, alas, there's a worldwide surplus of it.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.