Massage and Meditation

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
(RLS)

Massage and Meditation

Post by (RLS) »

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and would like to make some suggestions on how to alleviate RLS or lessen it's symptoms. It may not work for everyone, but it has worked for me to some degree. I usually wake up 2-4 AM in the morning with severe RLS to the point where I think that I would go insane if I didn't move my body within seconds. I would get it in my torso, legs, and arms. I tried massaging the area where it's aggravated for about 10-15 minutes while meditating on pleasant thoughts that keep my mind occupied until I fall asleep. After massaging the aggravated area, I would put the affected part between 2 pillows...usually kind of cold pillows. Let's say for example my right arm was aggravated with RLS...I would massage that arm thoroughly for about 10-15 minutes, shake it for about 2-3 minutes, and place the arm between a large, somewhat cold pillow and apply a little pressure on the pillow as if it were delicately squeezing the arm. Then I would meditate on pleasant thoughts or something that usually occupies my mind until I drift off to sleep. This works for the arms and legs, but the torso area is the most difficult to deal with since it is stationary.

God Bless!
And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. (Revelation 21:4)