Torso RLS

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
(RLS)

Torso RLS

Post by (RLS) »

Hi Folks,

I understand that RLS (Restless legs syndrome) occurs in the legs with the majority of those who suffer from this debilitating syndrome. Usually with the legs and arms, it's more easier to deal with than when the aggravated area is within the Torso. The Torso area (inward creepy-crawly, burning sensation) can't be moved or shaked as to alleviate the symptoms since the torso area is stationary, so I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to deal with this, because the majority of the people who suffer from RLS have it in their "legs", hence the term Restless LEGS syndrome. I usually get around and take brisk walks and deep breathing exercises to lessen the symptoms, but then it comes back within minutes. I was wondering if anyone here has an alternative method with dealing with RLS affecting the Torso area, which in my opinion is the most difficult to deal with. Thanks in advance!

God Bless!
And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. (Revelation 21:4)

Neco

Post by Neco »

The only thing I can think of is some kind of bending movement, or rocking back and forth..

I know I've tried to cope in those ways in the odd situation where it advances into my torso..

However you should never discount seeking aid from medications if you can potentially get them. I know some people just don't like the idea of "pill popping" or w/e, but truth be told, there is no reason not to pursue medical treatment if you can find a med you can live with, or that has almost no bothersome side effects at all.

(RLS)

Post by (RLS) »

Hi Zach!

Zach wrote:The only thing I can think of is some kind of bending movement, or rocking back and forth..

I know I've tried to cope in those ways in the odd situation where it advances into my torso..

However you should never discount seeking aid from medications if you can potentially get them. I know some people just don't like the idea of "pill popping" or w/e, but truth be told, there is no reason not to pursue medical treatment if you can find a med you can live with, or that has almost no bothersome side effects at all.

My doctor had prescribed me Ropinirole 0.25 mg and I would take it before bedtime as instructed. However, it would wear off 3-4 hours into my sleep, so I would wake up 2-3 in the morning with RLS. Eventually, I would take another dose after waking up at 2 or 3 in the morning only to be late for work as a result of the drowsiness effect. Also, because I would often take an extra dose, I would run out of pills before my doctor would authorize a refill -- leaving me with no pills and suffering from intense RLS. And it seems that even the Ropinirole, after taking it for a while would give me intense RLS during the morning and afternoon hours. Ropinirole 0.25 mg and Carbidopa/Levodopa 25/100 augmented my RLS symptoms and even caused RLS to spread to other parts of my body. I never had RLS in my arms until I took Ropinirole and Carbidopa/Levodopa. I was injured a few months back as a result of a fall and my Orthopaedic doctor prescribed me Norco (Hydrocodone Bitartrate) for my pain, and oddly enough, Norco would alleviate my RLS symptoms. I plan on giving up the Norco after I fully recover from my injury because it can be habit forming. Temazepam (Restoril) seems to work a bit but I end up being extremely groggy in the morning, and Temazepam can also be habit forming. Unfortunately, I've yet to find a medication that hasn't given me bothersome side effects.

God Bless!
And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. (Revelation 21:4)

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Your experience with the Norco is common among those of us with RLS. Many of us DO take opioids to treat our RLS. That class of medication is the most effective class of meds for RLS, and works for the vast majority of people. It does cause dependence and withdrawal, but the potential for craving and addiction is quite low.

In the "New to RLS" section of the message board, there is a sticky post at the top which contains all kinds of information on RLS and the various treatment options. I encourage you to read it and learn as much as you can.
Susan

(RLS)

Post by (RLS) »

Thanks, I will look into it. :)