RLS and EGO

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
babytoes

RLS and EGO

Post by babytoes »

Well... I think RLS is unique for each person. But here is my story and what I found out after being with it for 18 years. Maybe it will help you.

Put those chemical-interaction stories to rest. The brain is an organ. But we are people... we are alive and are much more than our parts.

I started going to meditation class about 5 years ago. They taught me how to meditate, how to get "naked" and take my suit of armor off.

What I found is that I was a complete ego-maniac. What's worse, my RLS was a symptom of this huge ego I had (have).

It started when I was in my twenties and when I was very much hurt, felt abandoned, isolated. My ego went into survival mode... and created RLS.

I don't know why it happens in the legs. I think possibly because its a place to run away to. Get as far away from life as possible.

So, after meditating so much its become very clear to me. My RLS is a part of me who I slowly need to reintegrate into myself again. Its a part that needs to be healed by the trauma that happened to me.

I work on it everyday. Meditate 2 hours in the morning so I can get on with my day in peace. Evenings are tough. "He" (RLS) prattles the worst then. I just try to reassure "him" "me" and eventually he calms down.

I don't know why this happens. But he needs to be brought home. That is why it feels "like that".

Somedays are wonderful. I make good progress. He becomes one with me again. And my RLS is sylch. The pressure gets aleviated by dealing with it. Meditating with it. Understanding my feelings when I just let things be and peacefully investigate my RLS.

I hope this helps someone. It took me years to understand this. I know the pain and I know the crazy theories that run through our heads. But do not fear. Eventually you will come home to yourself... little one.

Take care. :)

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Babytoes, I moved this post into the non-pharmaceutical treatment so others who are looking for a non-pharm treatment will be able to find it.

I hope it continues to work for you for a long time.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

I had RLS for years, but it only bothered me a few hours every few months.

Then I went through a major trauma to my nervous system. That started me on the road to full-blown RLS. When I think about it, in just one year, I went from just about no symptoms at all to 24/7 RLS symptoms.

I also took an anti-depressant that I was told contributed to the problem. However, I strongly believe that the trauma was the driving force behind the sharp upswing in symptoms. They started before I even took the Abilify. I am still in the same traumatic situation and my symptoms just keep getting worse and worse.

That is why I am desperate to move, so I can get away from the situation that has caused me so much pain.

Dale