Soap in the bed? can someone explain?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

I tried it. Spent all night feeling like the princess and the pea. Maybe I'll try eating it....Ivory is supposed to be 99.99% pure, right? (kidding, of course)

byers1

it works for me

Post by byers1 »

It works for me, for the most part... some nights not at all,its better then every night with my legs feeling as if something in my legs is moving... but i find when i go to my boyfriends i seek out my bar of soap,its a comfort blanket if anything... what works for you may not work for the next..

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

Chipmunk: Just to add my 2 cents about the "soap in the bed". If it helps anyone its because they really don't have WED/RLS or its like taking a sugar pill and thinking it helps your ailment.

Think about it. The problem, as the doctors and ones doing the research on WED/RLS find, it starts in the brain. Its a sensorimotor disorder. Risk factors for developement of WED/RLS are "older age", female, pregnancy and iron deficiency. There are others, these are the strongest factors. So how could a bar of soap in your bed have any bearing on relief from WED/RLS. I have had WED/RLS for over 40 years and tried everything. Yes, I admit, even the soap in the bed. The only thing that really helps me, is pramipexole (Mirapex). Of course all WED/RLSers are different, what helps one may not help another. I just know we are all miserable with this monster of a disease. I wish getting relief from it was as simple as putting a bar of soap in my bed.

There are books written by Dr. Mark J. Buchfuhrer, who is one of the foremost experts on WED/RLS. Very informative.

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand