Has anyone tried Chiropractic?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Bellekodi@cox.net

Has anyone tried Chiropractic?

Post by Bellekodi@cox.net »

I have had RLS for a majority of my life (I'm 34) and nothing worked for me until I started seeing chiropractors back in '96. If anyone knows anything about chiropractic, you would know that when the nerves are being compressed by a vertebrae that is out of alignment, things start going haywire in the body. I minorly injured my back when I was 8 from a fall I took off of a balcony - landing on my butt. That was the start of my problems including the dreaded "growing pains". I saw my first chiropractor when I was 25 and they showed me for the first time on an x-ray, that I had spina bifida in my 5th lumbar vertebrae which I never knew existed. However, it was obvious that this had to be part of my long time back pain. To make a long story short, ever since I started seeing chiropractors, the symptoms have reduced considerably. I will say that I have not tried many meds for RLS, but the ones I have tried, did not work for me. Plus, when I got pregnant, which made the problem worse, I coldn't take meds so chiropractic is the ONLY thing that got me throught both pregnancies. So, in the longrun, getting adjusted for RLS is not only helping my low back pain, it has also taken care of the RLs and various other neck and upper back issues as well. My philosophy these days is "Fix the cause of the problem, not just the symptoms". If you think you have RLS, go find a good Gonstead chiropractor. They will help you and I guarantee it!

Betty/WV

Re: Chiropractor

Post by Betty/WV »

Hi Bellekodi: Read your message about chiropractors, what is a gonstead chiropractor.? I have had rls for years and am now 68. I have had several bad falls. In fact, I sit here now in front of the computer with a cast on my ankle, 10 days ago I fell down 1 step and broke my ankle. Once I read that fibromyalgia is caused by a fall or injury. And rls and fibro seem to go together. In fact a chiropractor diagnosed my fibromyalgia. I first diagnosed the rls. Then started looking for help. I take medication but sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't. :( Believe me old age isn't the "golden years", they are tarnished. Rls is a very distressing syndrome. You keep looking for something to help, and if you find something, it doesn't help for long and you have to start all over. I will try a chiropractor again, and see if that helps. Thanks for your input. Betty/WV :wink:
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

Sara

Post by Sara »

Oh, my goodness, Betty, honey!!!!

SO sorry to hear about your fall and broken ankle! Hope it heals up well for you. But I was thinking it must be especially uncomfortable when you're in a cast and having RLS. :x :cry:

Sending you big "cyber hugs". Take care!!!!

Sara

chirpee

What works for one may not for another

Post by chirpee »

Bellekodi,

Glad to hear the Chiropractor worked for you. I had similar problems. I am 33 and had "growing pains" at the age of 9. I went to chiropractors from the age of 16 until I had my L5 disc removed last month. I NEVER experienced any relief from my RLS symptoms except when I ruptured my L5. For some reason, from the day I ruptured my L5 (September 23, 2004) until one week after my surgery on January 3, 2005, I did not have one day of RLS :? But after the surgery, my symptoms returned much worse than I've ever experienced. Neither therapy or chiropractic worked for me. So I guess that too is like the drugs - what works for one may not work for another. :cry:

And Betty - so sorry to hear about your ankle. Do take care and I hope the Chiropractor helps your symptoms!

Chirpee :cry:

IanFraughton

Surgery

Post by IanFraughton »

I have had this since I can remember and I'm 35 going on 36 now. I dread the thought of breaking my legs to the point I am carefull not to put myself in a situation where I may. I am sorry to hear of your plight as well Betty, hope you get better as fast as you can. BIG hug from me too :)
It has been documented that surgery aggrivates RLS. They have a pamphlet now that you give to the surgen so the anistisiologist(?) the guy that knocks you out) knows you might not really be out when your "under". Also the thought of "twitching" while hes trying to do a delicate slice horrifies me. I've had operations in the past but experienced no problems, luckily the drugs knocked me out in the past.

As for a Chiropractor I had not thought about it, I will definately discuss it with my doctor, as well as seeing a Neurologist.

Hope for a remedy, pray for a cure.

Peace 8)
I call my pacing the "Waltz of the Damned". Anyone care to dance...?

Re: Chiropractor

Post by Guest »

color=violet]Oh Betty, I'm so sorry to hear about your ankle. I hope you heal very soon. It's the last thing you need right? Well, to answer your question about what a Gonstead Chiropractor is - Gonstead is a type of technique that some chiropractors use to treat a patient. A true Gonstead doctor uses special apparatus to adjust patients. They adjust the body from the bottom up using the patients' x-rays as a guide. The Gonstead technique is specialized and there aren't too many out there since it's a difficult technique to learn. But, it's the only one I'll ever use. If you are interested in finding one, you can use the website www.gonsteadseminar.com and that can help you find a doctor in your area. To comment on IanFraughton's posting, you can ask your doc about a chiropractor, but like most M.D.'s, he'll probably say to stay away since most M.D's don't believe in chiropractic. But, mine does so maybe your's will surprise you!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It makes sense that with a back injury as the cause of RLS (secondary RLS) that a chiro could help. Back injury and surgery are definitely known causes of secondary RLS. The cause seems to originate in a different place than primary.

Primary RLS is caused by a malfunction of cells in the brain, though. A chiro can't give me more transport cells in my brain so I can get more iron, so I can uptake enough dopamine. For people with primary RLS, I'm not sure how seeing any type of chiro could help.

Then again, a small study showed that people with bad varicose veins got relief from RLS from sclero-something-or-other (RLS brain damage kicking in). Of course, they don't know why. Could be these people also have a type of secondary RLS and it wouldn't work with primary.

Any scientists out there?

Ann/IL/45

IanFraughton

Decided against it

Post by IanFraughton »

I've decided to stay away from the bone-crackers until absolutely needed. I get some pretty nasty back-aches while I'm walking or pacing but I don't think starting chiro would be beneficial as I know some people who go and it seems you have to keep going back forever. The pressure in the joints just builds up faster so you'll find yourself going back sooner than later after awhile. I will do some more research before I make my final decison on the matter. Although I agree with Ann that chiro would probably help with a back injury.
I call my pacing the "Waltz of the Damned". Anyone care to dance...?

becat

Post by becat »

I love my chripractor. It's a pain to get adjusted, the old fashion way, just grabs me and contorts the body til it gives. But I love the results.....most of the time. Yes, if you start, you have to go back. I prefer to go once a month, unless we're working on my shoulder, then it's more often. If you've injured something it may take some time for the bones and muscles to understand they have to go back into place and stay there. Trama is not always fixed in a fast manner. But to maintain the spine and neck should be fairly easy for most. No everyone, but most.
I have to tell you that my shoulders have always been tight and tense. It was not until I injured my shoulder that my arms started going nuts. I got use to my legs and lower back feeling bad, but the arms and shoulder are not easily comforted.
Like you, I'm not sure it the injury is to blame or is this a progression in the RLS. I do see a chripractor to keep the scar tissue broken up and that hurts like a tornado in my body. I don't want to loose the mobility. I'm not a surgery kind of girl, so that option is out.
I do take a fair dose of Cal/Mag. Without it, I notice more problems with my stomach, than anything else.
It's like anything else here, nothing works for everyone. Have to agree with the Guest, most M.D.s don't think of Chriopractors as real doctors, their loss.
Betty I am sorry to hear about your ankle. Hugs to ya and hope your feeling better by the time you see this.

SUGAR

chiroprators

Post by SUGAR »

I have to say, I had severe spasms in my back, neck and shoulders. I went to my friends chiropractor whom she wears by, and I saw no difference at all. That was six months ago at least, and I still have serious pain in my neck, which was why I went, and I can't turn my head all the way that I used to. I admit it felt good with the hot whatever he had and the icy hot cream stuff he put on it but I feel no better than I did before I went. Maybe it's just me. Just thought I would share. I hope people can find relief but I just can't seem to.

lizard

im so glad they actually have a name for this...

Post by lizard »

i have not been diagnosed with rls.. but, i know i have it.. i thought my insomnia was the problem but i guess my rls is the real problem.. i have always had a very difficult time sleeping, and my legs have always hurt... ached... i am gld to have found this site, and i think i will try the chiropractor..i take my 6 month old for his belly, and they have that new technique with the little wand thing...maybe it will be a start.. im wondering if my doctor will think im silly for feeling like i have rls.. seems strange to actually know what it is.. but, my , i will be excited to get some sleep.. i have aa6 month old who is sleeping so much better than i.. i maybe get to sleep around 3 am.. well, thanks for listening.. and thanks for all the advice you all are putting out .

becat

Hi Lizard and Welcome

Post by becat »

Welcome to the board Lizard.
It's is strange to know that the "leg thing" has a name. I think most of us felt that way.
Don't feel silly talking to the doc about it, be prepare for your doc to not know much. Unless your lucky, most docs don't seem to know much about the diagnosis or the treatment. That's ok, we stress education around here. Not only about RLS, but it's treatments. Education is your best defense with RLS. You know your body and how it reacts to medications, vitamins/herbs, physical activity...Support is always wonderful around here. We know how you feel.
Not everyone thinks RLS is painful, but almost 50 % of us suffer with pain. I am like you and have pain. I'm lucky to be able to control it for the most part with medications.
I'm giving you a link to the Mayo Clinic site. when you pull it up, you'll find a search box in the upper right hand corner.
type in RLS ALGORITHM
http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/?2 ... 907crc.pdf
this is a PDF file you can print off for yourself and for any of your docs.
It's the Mayo clinic's guide to diagnosis and treatment of RLS. It could prove helpful to you.
I go to the chirapractor as well. I'm not sure it helps my RLS........but my old bones need to be put in place every so often. Hope yours helps you. What is the new wand thingy your talking about. Is it for the adjustments or is it a for soft tissue....like a low level laser?
I'm glad to hear the baby is sleeping, now I hope you can soon as well.
Let us know how it's going. Feel free to jump into any conversation anytime.

Kris

Post by Kris »

I went to the chiropractor for years. Its weird, it helped headaches I was having, but it didn't ever touch the rls. Only mirapex has helped.

pickles

rls

Post by pickles »

I, like you all, apparently never knew such a name was available for something we thought was in our heads. I would like to share with you what I have found from another sufferer that has worked for myself. QUININE- or tonic water or they do make a pill for leg pains that you can find at your large discount stores. I had tried tonic water before bed and it was amazing how well it worked, then walking throught the store I found a product called "Leg Cramps with Quinine". Now I take either one or two tablets when the problems happens and in about 15 minutes it's gone. Hope this helps somebody out there like it has me. I thought sometimes I would just freeze up and not beable to move anymore. My arms started getting into the problem, now try telling a dr you have leg and arm problems that feel like lack of circulation, HA, MRI time and anything else they can come up with. Try the Quinine first, hopefully you will be amazed. Good luck!!!